2001 TET Rover Maestro 1.3 Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 TET Rover Maestro 1.3 Red

I was visited this morning by a chap selling this car...

It is one of the very last (2001) Ledbury-built 'kit' Maestros, registered on a 'G' because of the 2001 emission rules for new cars. It has had one previous owner who can no longer drive due to ill health.

The car is MOTd until January 2009 and is taxed til the end of December. It has recently had a full new exhaust system as can be seen in the photos. The tyres are original Goodyear GT70 and are still usable. This is due to the very low mileage of 19,600 kilometres, which the clocks are still set up for. It runs very well and reminded me of my own LHD Maestro to drive.

Overall condition is very good. There is no rust at all, but there is a dent in the rear bumper which hasn't broken the paint so will pull out fine. There's also a dent in the driver's (N/S/F ) door where someone has kicked it and it has been pulled out. Brand new door skins can be had for around £30..?

The interior is good, as far as the seats and non-sagging headlining go. The dash has a large crack right up the raised part, but it will look ok with a good clean. The manual choke knob isn't the original, but the original is sat in the coins tray!

With a good clean (mainly to get the muck from behind the wheel arches), this will make a very presentable example and a pleasure to own. Based on this I valued the car at around £500 - The chap said he is looking for £400 and I think it is worth that all day.
    Attached Files
    Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
    VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
    J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Some more photos. I forgot to take one of the headlining but I assure you it is perfect and still clinging safely to the biscuit!
    Attached Files
    Steve Worsley

Comment

I've not seen one with the Mk3 style speedo in km/h before. They normally have a sticker reading MPH in the Mk2 style stuck over the top.

Comment

Oh god, i rather like that!

What would the mileage be if it was in MPH?

Comment

Found out its, 12230.39 Miles

Comment

Originally posted by Austin-Rover View Post
            I've not seen one with the Mk3 style speedo in km/h before. They normally have a sticker reading MPH in the Mk2 style stuck over the top.
            This is because it was built to the same spec. as the Bulgarian ones (i.e. mine) because it wasn't converted to RHD.

Originally posted by Stephen G View Post
            Found out its, 12230.39 Miles
            That's correct, Stephen. Very low mileage even for a 2001 car. I'm hoping this one goes to a good home, it deserves to. Someone please stop me as I could literally walk over to collect it.
            Steve Worsley

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroSpecial View Post
              This is because it was built to the same spec. as the Bulgarian ones (i.e. mine) because it wasn't converted to RHD.

That's correct, Stephen. Very low mileage even for a 2001 car. I'm hoping this one goes to a good home, it deserves to. Someone please stop me as I could literally walk over to collect it.

Go on Steve!! You know it would make a lovely pair with ENE!

Comment

As much as I can see the novelty of a left hand drive Maestro, I can quickly see it wearing off if both my cars were identical in everything but the colour of the paintwork. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen G View Post
                  Go on Steve!! You know it would make a lovely pair with ENE!
                  Haha, I'd love to but I haven't got the space or the money. I'm still itching to give it the valeting it deserves...

Originally posted by Austin-Rover View Post
                  As much as I can see the novelty of a left hand drive Maestro, I can quickly see it wearing off if both my cars were identical in everything but the colour of the paintwork. Variety is the spice of life and all that.
                  True enough. You have a Ledbury and you have a LHD. I have a LHD and I have a Flame Red one. Still doesn't stop me wanting it, though! :laugh:

If anyone is interested, please post here or send me a private message. Non-members can reach me at: steve.worsley @ live.co.uk - without the spaces in.
                  Steve Worsley

Comment

Looks a good buy and in good condition, bit of work that could be really nice. Even a damn good clean would improve it 100%

Comment

Well I was parked up waiting for someone earlier and lo and behold this Maestro drove past me up to the dead end where I sometimes take my photos. Having collected my passenger I decided to follow it to the end of the road as it was a different bloke driving it and I wanted to know if it had been sold. So, parked to the tail of the Ledbury I had a chat with the bloke and it appears he was taking photos to sell the car so I mentioned that it is on here and there hasn't been any interest so far, as well as the fact it is a 2001 car and not a 1990 G reg!

So, does anyone want this car? Believe me it is a very good example for a bargain price and deserves to be looked after by an enthusiast!
                      Steve Worsley

Comment

Well I was parked up waiting for someone earlier and lo and behold this Maestro drove past me up to the dead end where I sometimes take my photos. Having collected my passenger I decided to follow it to the end of the road as it was a different bloke driving it and I wanted to know if it had been sold. So, parked to the tail of the Ledbury I had a chat with the bloke and it appears he was taking photos to sell the car so I mentioned that it is on here and there hasn't been any interest so far, as well as the fact it is a 2001 car and not a 1990 G reg!

So, does anyone want this car? Believe me it is a very good example for a bargain price and deserves to be looked after by an enthusiast!
                        I might be interested Steve... Pending Money and all that, I'd like a bit of a project

Comment

Originally posted by Stu_CDX View Post
                          I might be interested Steve... Pending Money and all that, I'd like a bit of a project
                          No offence, but you would get absolutely raped trying to get insurance on a LHD car. Hopefully people can insure these ones as just a G reg Clubman, but the wheel being on the wrong side of the car adds about 50% more to the premium.
                          Steve Worsley

Comment

No offence, but you would get absolutely raped trying to get insurance on a LHD car. Hopefully people can insure these ones as just a G reg Clubman, but the wheel being on the wrong side of the car adds about 50% more to the premium.
                            Just rang up and gave them the whole Bulgaria story... They said it must go down as a kit car

No option sadly... So it's a no go for me

Comment

The car is now on eBay:

>Click here<

Ignore the '1990' part, it is a 2001 car built and registered at Ledbury. I'm still trying to find out why they have Certificate of Origins with the year of manufacture being '1990'. It can't be because it's a LHD as well as a kit (both attract higher insurance premiums) because as Stu says and as the car's documents state, it is also registered as a kit.

The DVLA website says that kits get current registrations, as we know already looking at R-51 reg examples. The very nature of a kit car means it can be built to its own specification so it shouldn't matter that it's LHD. It's a total conundrum and I don't think it is very fair that people who own these cars are fooled into thinking they are normal 1990 G reg Maestros - as that eBay auction shows.
                              Steve Worsley

Comment

Working...
                              X