Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 MG Montego, owned from new by club member in London (TW9)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [For Sale] 1988 MG Montego, owned from new by club member in London (TW9)

An elderly club member has been in touch with me as he's giving up driving and is looking to sell his MG Montego. As he was only about half an hour away from my son, I sent him to take some photos (which can be seen here - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ght97c3tn...nvA1oaR1a?dl=0) and he also sent me an email with the following message 'He's realistic that the car itself isn't worth a lot but wants the value of the plate. I think he will have to compromise if he wants it to go to a good home. It runs well but the gearbox is VERY loose. He said that it doesn't cope well on long journeys - the gearbox gets stiff and the power steering is leaking somewhere. It is rough around the edges and does need a lot of work. But mostly solid by the looks of things.'

He's after a total of £3500 based on £1000 for the car and £2500 for the plate. I have told him that the plate is of little interest to most prospective MG Montegos restorers/owners, but he believes it is. We've agree that he'll try and sell the plate and the car together first, but if that isn't possible, that he'll consider taking the plate off the car (he's worried about the practicalities of doing it - he doesn't appear keen on trying to grapple with the forms to do it) and sell them separately. He lives in TW9.

It has an MOT until July (I think).

I have found him pleasant to deal with, if unrealistic about the plate but I believe that he will negotiate on the price, with a little time and care from the prospective buyer.. All my conversations with him have been over the phone and he is extremely hard of hearing. Now I'm not the quietest of people, but I have to slow right down and shout down the phone in order for him to be able to hear me.

He has owned this car from new, Jeff Patterson knows it, so if you're interested Jeff might be a good person to ask about it. However, I do have the sellers phone numbers, so if you are interested in buying the MG Montego, please do get in touch with me. My mobile is 07929 868284.

Many thanks,

Tanya
    Last edited by Tanya; 19th March 2017, 21:41.

As it is currently MOT'd and sorned removing the plate should be a simple online process. I think it stands a much better chance of selling separately

Comment

Working...
    X