Wanted Power steering pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted Power steering pump

im after a power steering pump for my 91 mg maestro turbo as mines very noisy with lots of play in the shaft so needs to go
    has anybody got one or can anybody advise me if the pump was fitted to other vehicles so I can widen my search on eBay

'Soulcharger' fitted an SD1 pump, the reservoir is a bit taller, so it will hold a bit more oil, but it didn't look out of place at all. I guess that the original reservoir could be swapped over if you wanted to be totally original, I think there may be a thread on here with photos..

Comment

Been there done it going down original road and it costs a fortune
      this car when done will be a usable classic with whatever put on it to keep it on the road

Comment

should have just cost the same, as you already have the original reservoir? The easier to find diesel ones have the same reservoir, but opposite rotation, so take more than a couple of nuts to alter, other identical pumps with different reservoirs are found on early Discoveries, but I guess if you've already fitted an SD1 one you'll probably have looked at them too...
        Last edited by Doctordiesel77; 29th November 2017, 09:45.

Comment

No it still has its factory original pump and it's very tired it still works fine but is noisy so would rather replace it with anything that would work rather than it packing in

Comment

SD1 ones seem to have gone up a bit https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-ERC6969. there are rebuild kits available, but not sure if they include bearings, or just seal
            s

Comment

The seal is fine it's the bearings that have gone is it possible to replace the bearings in it as I like a challenge and who sells the bearings

Comment

I've never needed to rebuild one, but I'd be surprised if the bearings are hard to find ...this used to have nice pictures of a pump being rebuilt, but now has some photobucket blah instead..if you can make pictures work, it will give you a lot of useful clues...https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/55269...steering-pump/

Comment

Thanks for that but I haven't got that photo bucket thing so can't open pictures

Comment

yes, photobucket is very annoying, loads of useful and interesting posts have been rendered useless and boring by it...and I guess the original posters won't want to redo them all ...none of it is super complicated, as long as you are careful...strange that bearing would go and not create an oil leak though..

Comment

As far as i'm aware they can not be re-furbed
                      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                      2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                        As far as i'm aware they can not be re-furbed
                        I think that as far as the pumping elements are concerned there is no way of getting bits, but bearings are just brass bushes I think...those photos that are not visible anymore told the story..I kept the link in case I ever felt the urge to dismantle one...bit of a waste of time now though.... Without a lathe, or access to a lathe owner, it might be a bit expensive, if not impossible.. I think the pump on diesel could be turned around, as you would with a digger one, but have never looked into it...

Comment

To the O.P. There is a place near diggerland in Castleford that supplies bearings. If the bearing has a number on they can work off that or just take the old bearings down and they match them up. The last one I got was for a tensioner pulley from an ambulance, full tensioner was around £200 dealer only and five days lead time, bearing was about £5 off the shelf!

Comment

I want to try and rebuild it although my pockets are deep there's nowt better than fixing something yourself like when bonnet release cable broke on my rs they are £25 brand new I just bought some garden trellis wire and a bmx outer casing all in £3.50 job done so when bonnet release cable broke on maestro this week I'd got some left so I made 1 for the maestro and as the cable runs under front slam panel nobody would ever tell so I'm going to have a go at the power steering pump if nobody comes up with one on here

Comment

Morning I think I might have a spare one I will have a look and put another post on

Comment

Working...
                              X