Maestro Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro Sale

Hi, need some advice, my father in law is looking to sell his 1983 Maestro 1300L. It has just passed its MOT so no problems there, the question is
    its currently off road on a SORN and its not insured.

I am wondering if he would be better off price wise to tax and insure it before trying to sell it so that any potential buyer can test drive it before deciding to buy it.

Any comments you have would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MOT, will be the biggest issue for most people. Getting temp insurnace is not very cost effective and you would need that to tax it. I wouldn't bother at this stage. It will not get much money, unless it's very good condtion and low milage and then it won't get as much as you would think!

Comment

Would largely agree with Jez, it has the MOT which is the biggest help and unless the car is really special the values tend to be low. There are some options you could look at before having to tax and insure the car.

Advertise it on here first
      People on here know the cars well so someone who is interested might be prepared to buy it on sight without taking a lengthy test drive. I assume the car can be started and perhaps moved about on the drive or something similar.

eBay
      If you are lucky you get an acceptable bid from a decent person who comes along, pays up and takes the car away having taxed and insured it themselves first. If you are unlucky then you get messed around and wish you had never started.

Physical Auction
      One of the classic car auction companies would probably sell it, but again unless it is something special don't expect a bidding war and it could be that by the time you have paid commission and transport there is not much left. There is a 1984 or 1985 Maestro 1.3L at Mathewsons Auctions at the moment and it has been in at least two auctions unsold from what I can gather.

Classified Advert
      carandclassic.co.uk is a good one. You would have to put that it isn't insured or taxed so interested parties could make their own arrangements. That particular site charges callers to contact you which is how they make their money. It has the advantage that anyone ringing you is unlikely to be a complete time waster.

If you do end up insuring it might be worth seeing if your current insurer for another car you have can add it on for a smaller fee. On the basis that you can't drive two cars as once some of them might be willing to do this - worth a phone call if nothing else.

Nick

Comment

I would take lots of pictures and put it for sale on e-bay and maestro owners clubs site on face book/gumtree and see what interest you get.if its got a mot let the new buyer buy tax and insurance.as tax cannot be transferred.and good luck

Comment

Working...
        X