Rolling road day 27th July (Win £50)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling road day 27th July (Win £50)

OK so i've booked a rolling road day for the club so see how much power your car has or how much you've losted or just come and watch lets get as many rovers as we can no reason not to come

£30 for 2 Runs and a printout!
    £40 For 2 Runs With AFR and a printout!
    £40 For 2 Runs With Boost and a printout!
    £40 For 2 Runs With AFR and Boost with a printout!

Dynodaze Ltd Unit 16 Pheonix Business Park, Brindley Road, LE10 3BY Hinckley, United Kingdom Just off the A5 and M69

If 10 cars or more run i get £50 which i will let the owners of the dnyo give to the car of the day (doesn't mean most power just there favorite car)

1) Carl747

Id be interested in this but can't commit until mid June once I know my work situation.

Would either be a Metro or Maestro turbo.
    Current Fleet.

1981 Metro 'S'
    1985 Metro MG Turbo

1986 Maestro MG (GOING TURBO)
    1989 Maestro MG Turbo '#370'

1988 Montego MG Turbo 'SAD'
    1988 Montego MG Estate 'F700'

1995 Land Rover 110

2004 Rover Streetwise Td

Comment

Date changed to 27th july

Comment

if my engine is built by then, i would like to go.
        MG Maestro turbo 437
        367 Bhp

Comment

Now the date has changed count me in as long as the car is ready by then

Comment

good would like to see some M cars on show or better yet running

Comment

For those of us that have "cr@ppy" low spec cars, can someone explain what you get from one of these tests or put a pointer in the right direction.

Having a Maestro TD I'm not really interested in the maximum power as that's not what diesels are about. I am familiar with the power/torque vs rpm eninge data (as for the original Prima scanned) which shows crankshaft output. I might be being thick but does the test get done in each gear to show the difference between 0-4500rpm in first, second third fourth or fifth gear at different speeds? The difference being the internal friction of different gears.

Also does it show the engine braking curves?

Presumably the car is also weighed at some point to set the resistance of the dyno?

Expecting far too much from a £30 test but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks

Robin
              Attached Files

Comment

To be fair it's not all about bhp the results will tell you a lot about how your car is running.
                Best personal example of this was a friends montego efi which made good power but had huge transmission losses which we put down to the operators lack of experience with these cars or something even the operator said it was excessive so made up his own calculation to make the figures look more realistic. Then about 2 or 3 weeks later his diff bearing smashed their way out of the diff casing in spectacular style which had we have taken more notice we might have picked up on!
                Look at it this way either it will show there is nothing wrong with your car which is always a nice feeling or it will show up a problem which it's probably better to know about and not a lot of money to find out either way.
                If course it should be a good day out anyway, you might even get to see my montego go up in flames! But I hope not!

Comment

i may well turn up as i live in nuneaton..what time does it kick off???
                  MAESTRO TURBO NO.384...
                  D REG MAESTRO 2.0 efi...(turbo)
                  2004 rover 45 2.0 td
                  2002 rover 75 2.0cdt auto

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post
                    For those of us that have "cr@ppy" low spec cars, can someone explain what you get from one of these tests or put a pointer in the right direction.

Having a Maestro TD I'm not really interested in the maximum power as that's not what diesels are about. I am familiar with the power/torque vs rpm eninge data (as for the original Prima scanned) which shows crankshaft output. I might be being thick but does the test get done in each gear to show the difference between 0-4500rpm in first, second third fourth or fifth gear at different speeds? The difference being the internal friction of different gears.

Presumably the car is also weighed at some point to set the resistance of the dyno?

Thanks

Robin
                    This is what typically happens:

The car is put on the dyno and then strapped down (if it isn't a hub dyno).

The car is then run up to speed into the gear that is nearest 1:1 ratio (typically 4th for petrol cars but can be 3rd for diesels). The clutch is pressed in and the wheels allowed to coast down. The dyno should measure this coast down to try and estimate/measure the losses due to the friction of the tyres and gearbox etc.

The engine is then gradually acclerated and changed up through the gears into the running gear again. The dyno is effectively turned on to provide a measured resistance and the throttle pedal pushed fully from a reasonablly low rpm. The revs increase until either the throttle is released or the rev limiter kicks in (down to operator/owner preference usually). Once this point is reached the dyno operator dips the clutch and allows the wheels to come to a rest whilst occasionally blipping the throttle (waterpumps often don't pump well at idle), to allow the car to cool down. The process may be repeated depending on issues or things you like to test.

The dyno then draws you a power/torque curve as you have posted above. Often boost is logged and air fuel ratio for turbo petrol cars too.
                    The actual curves plotted vary, but the important ones are wheel power output and the ones people usually quote are corrected engine power output (this has the losses calculated added back in). Typically for a PG1 gearbox you see 8-12% losses.

I hope this helps

N.B. before going on a dyno the car must be in tip-top shape (well the engine anyhow). Dynos are harder on the car than normal driving so it'll show up any weakenss in clutch or cooling system.
                    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post

Thanks

Robin

Oh and if you are anywhere near scunthorpe I'm betting I can make the old girl give more power if you want it! (First thing to sort is the boost level which will be lower than standard unless you have already changed it).

Comment

An "Example" graph from a diesel

Comment

Have updated the title with the new date

Comment

If this was local I'd be tempted to turn up to this with my beige, pensioner-spec 1.3 complete with AA badge and vehicle watch stickers. Very tempted.
                            1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 Base (B662 DVX)

Comment

10am start

really hoping to see some M cars

Comment

Working...
                              X