The Pride of Longbridge 2015 - Saturday 18th April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pride of Longbridge 2015 - Saturday 18th April

I'll add more details to this thread shortly, but I just wanted to let people know for those who would like to stay down in Longbridge on the Saturday evening after PoL, the Premier Inn that's built on part of the old Longbridge site currently has rooms for £35. However, I guess they won't remain at that price for long, so be quick if you want a cheap room - http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/B...bridge-station

More info

This might bore some of you know already know all about the Pride of Longbridge, so please skip through the parts that you know about.

If you are into your Longbridge history, then this is the rally for you This year is especially poignant as marks 10 years since the collapse of MG Rover. It also celebrates 110 years of motor manufacture at Longbridge.

The Pride of Longbridge is held on the nearest Saturday in April to the mass redundancies caused by the collapse of MG Rover in April 2005. This year's rally is on Saturday 18th April and is organised by the Pride of Longbridge Heritage and Community Group. The event has a dual purpose of both remembering the collapse and those affected by it and also celebrating Longbridge's fantastic vehicle making history. The event now attracts well over 1500 vehicles, and if it has a connection to Longbridge you will find it there. The variety is quite amazing. Many former employees and members of the local community come along too. It is free of charge for both vehicles and the public, however, as you can imagine it is not free to host, so if you feel inclined to make a donation towards the event, it would be very gratefully received. Gemma Cartwright from the Pride of Longbridge Heritage and Community Group is currently looking into a Just Giving page.

In previous years, the Austin and Longbridge Federation (ALF) have been involved in organising PoL. I got to know John Baker, the chairman of the ALF in 2009 at the IMM held at Longbridge I found him quite inspiring, and when I saw his website, I was blown away - http://www.austinmemories.com/. I'm pleased to say that this website is now backed up regularly by the British Library. John and I became friends and at the 2010 PoL he said that I should think about bringing a convoy of Longbridge connected vehicles from Cowley (so that includes all production at Cowley from 1952 to 2000 when the Plants were linked) to PoL, and so the Cowley Convoy was born

In 2011 we took 14 vehicles, 2012 was 45, 2013 was 95 and last year over 100. This year we would again like to try and break the 100 vehicle mark.

If you happen to either live in the Oxfordshire area or would travel through Oxfordshire to get to the PoL or just want to join us (we do have people who come from Birmingham just to come on the convoy!), we'd love to have you. In the spirit of PoL, the Cowley Convoy is free of charge. We do have flags and run plaques which are entirely optional and sold at cost price. However, please do bring your own flags etc, if you have other flags.

We've had some great cars on previous convoy including a replica of Mr Bean's Mini, with Mr Bean on top, and the Met Police have very kindly brought their operational Rover SD1 and Rover 827, and as they are operational vehicles, they come complete with Police Officers. It's always good to have Maestros and Montegos along, coming back to their home Plant before convoying to Longbridge.

We aim to leave MINI Plant Oxford at about 8.30am, and those on the convoy can arrive at Cowley from 7.30am, although we ask everyone to be with us by 8.15am if possible. The Plant will have their Centenary Exhibition open again and if we get organised, we'll have teas and coffees.

You can sign up for the Cowley Convoy here - http://cowleyconvoy.info/#/attend-a-convoy/4564571391. The Cowley Convoy also has a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/128401660618757/ as does PoL - https://www.facebook.com/groups/steveturner36/

Personally, if I could only make one show a year, this would be this one as for me. Cars are about people too, and meeting those who've designed and built the cars, and those would have lived with the Plant for years is a real privilege.

Stuart Watson made a great film in 2013
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZOMnTzqunM

and here's our amateur Facebook short film also from 2013. Hopefully you'll get the idea - the Cowley Convoy is a lot of fun
    https://www.facebook...&type=2

A review of last year's show - http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/even...ngbridge-2014/

I have booked a stand/area for the Maestro & Montego Owners Club. My understanding is that this will be in same place as last year, although if we have inclement weather before, this might be changed. It is also my understanding that all Maestros and Montegos will be together in the same area, whether or not they are in the club.
    Last edited by Tanya; 7th April 2015, 13:04.

Comment

Could there not be folk on the gate with a donations pot? If a nominal charge isn't to be made general then if there are folk on the "Door" so to speak it usually encourages people to give no matter how small it is all better than nothing.
      I for one will be happy to do so if it keeps this fantastic event going!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Express Valeter View Post
        Could there not be folk on the gate with a donations pot? If a nominal charge isn't to be made general then if there are folk on the "Door" so to speak it usually encourages people to give no matter how small it is all better than nothing.
        Surely that would depend if one spot of rain drops on your car Andy
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
        2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
          Surely that would depend if one spot of rain drops on your car Andy
          Well that is the problem, I need to find a car I don't mind getting wet lol as I sold the Rover 25 just over a year ago.

There is a Motorshow 2004 Rover Streetwise on Autotrader presently, that is tempting!!

Comment

I think so one mentioned this last year but with the volume of vehicles trying to get onto the site there was concerns about it becoming even slower and causing local traffic problems.

The just giving page would be a good idea if well publicised through all the clubs that attend.
            Current Fleet.

1981 Metro 'S'
            1985 Metro MG Turbo

1986 Maestro MG (GOING TURBO)
            1989 Maestro MG Turbo '#370'

1988 Montego MG Turbo 'SAD'
            1988 Montego MG Estate 'F700'

1995 Land Rover 110

2004 Rover Streetwise Td

Comment

From what I hear they would be much more grateful for you arriving an hour early and helping to marshal the huge number of vehicles into their required spots than they would to collect a fiver from you at the gate.

As the event has ballooned beyond all predictions - and from its initial guise as a spontaneous emotion-fuelled support rally - the small number of people who actually do the leg work find the whole day a massive strain.

Comment

Or maybe a few collectors positioned along the driveway as you go in. As you are queueing going down the drive you can open the window & drop it into a collection pot a bit like they do or at least did on the Blackpool Illuminations!!

Comment

Or maybe a few collectors positioned along the driveway as you go in.
                  There isn't the manpower available for this.

Comment

See you there!

Me and my partner will be bringing my Maestro 1.3L

And our Rover 114GSI and MPI Mini

Comment

Welcome to the forum. What a cracker the Maestro looks!!

Comment

you have a nice collection of cars.nice maestro with the alloy wheels

Comment

Welcome to the forum. What a cracker the Maestro looks!!
                          Thank you. She isn't as clean as she appears however, but with LPG being around 55p a liter in the city I'm not complaining!

I spoke to you in the ZR when you were valeting a car in my road in Medway (I won't post my street). I explained to you that I had a Rover 114 which was also nightfire. This is going back 2/3 years now when the car was an automatic! I've seen you at lots of shows since but you've always been chatting to people.

Thank you Dave! The wheels are great but I can't find a set of center caps anywhere, I may end up using a set of lattice wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Mini-mad-craig View Post
                            The wheels are great but I can't find a set of center caps anywhere, I may end up using a set of lattice wheels.
                            Get a wanted ad up as people have the odd ones lying around. I managed to get 2 full sets for my alloys that very same way last year.

Undecided what to take to POL this year, might have to take a Metro as I took a Maestro last year?
                            Current Fleet.

1981 Metro 'S'
                            1985 Metro MG Turbo

1986 Maestro MG (GOING TURBO)
                            1989 Maestro MG Turbo '#370'

1988 Montego MG Turbo 'SAD'
                            1988 Montego MG Estate 'F700'

1995 Land Rover 110

2004 Rover Streetwise Td

Comment

Originally posted by Mini-mad-craig View Post
                              Thank you. She isn't as clean as she appears however, but with LPG being around 55p a liter in the city I'm not complaining!

I spoke to you in the ZR when you were valeting a car in my road in Medway (I won't post my street). I explained to you that I had a Rover 114 which was also nightfire. This is going back 2/3 years now when the car was an automatic! I've seen you at lots of shows since but you've always been chatting to people.

Thank you Dave! The wheels are great but I can't find a set of center caps anywhere, I may end up using a set of lattice wheels.
                              Ahh yes I know who you are & remember exactly where you are too. IIRC I was valeting a foreign type 4x4. PM me sometime & you can see my Metro & Montego & I can see your Maestro & 100!!

Caps do come for sale on ebay now and again. I do have a brand boxed new set of them but keeping for now just in case.

Comment

Working...
                              X