Ripon show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripon show

We all had a cracking day at Ripon today (despite the rain) and 25 vehicles turned out (what a result!)
    Proceedings were somewhat curtailed by the weather (the show started to empty around 1pm) but we won the Best Club stand at show (hooray!)
    This makes two such awards this season - the other being Hutton in the Forest back in May.

Prizes awarded to members in attendance were as follows -

Best Maestro - Robert Lilley (Tandy campervan)
    Best Montego - David Sharp (2.0 DL)
    Member who travelled furthest to attend the show - John Dowson who came down from Scotland (Montego Countryman)
    Most unusual vehicle - Montego hearse (Rich McDonnell)
    Best restoration - Stephen Bradbury (MG Maestro Turbo)
    Members' choice of the show - Bob Meldrum (Montego 1.6L)
    Special contribution to the Club - John Parker

Andrew

This was the first time I have been able to join the club stand(apart from POL in 2015) but this is the first proper show I have attended to be specifically with the club. I knew the weather was unlikely to be in our favour but I could not fail to attend especially as it was the club national rally and I am pleased I did. Thank you for bringing it North this year. It was great to see so many Montego's and Maestro's in one place. I have not seen so many in one place for such a long time, not even on a dealer forecourt back in the 80,s/90,s. It was good to see so many cars on show. I thoroughly enjoyed my conversations with various members and would have liked to have spent time meeting more of you unfortunately the weather intervened. I had thought I may have seen some of the other vehicles on display but didn't really make it away from the club stand but that didn't matter it was worth it to meet up with the fellow enthusiasts for our marque. It was good to see and hear such passion and enthusiasm for our cars. While that passion and enthusiasm for our cars exists they have a good future in store. So many people are keen to knock British cars in particular Austin /Rover but like many of you I was brought up on Austin,Morris,BL cars and have always bought British. I am pleased that I am not the only one to think the Montego and Maestro are great cars and that was evident from the conversations I had with you. I would like to pay tribute to those of you who travelled from further afield and I hope that you felt it was worth your while and effort . It was great to meet you ( sorry to those of you I didn't have time to meet) .I would like to pay tribute to some I those I did meet in particular the gentleman and his good lady from Coventry with the Montego hearse. It may not be everyone's first choice but these vehicles deserve to be preserved. A rare car indeed and I understand the only one in existence. (I wonder where the limousines have gone to?). Well done for saving this car. It would have been a crime and a shame if this car ended up like so may other rare vehicle's at a banger race. I enjoyed chatting to you and learning more about your plans for the car and hearing of the other cars in your fleet. Matt ,I enjoyed chatting to you about your estate/countryman. They really are good cars and so versatile and roomy. The good flat load bed puts so many more modern vehicles to shame.I love them and would happily have one. Matt ,your car (the one you had on show) is a rare sight these days well done for keeping it on the road it was great to see. I don't care whether its an L, HL(as your was) or VDP they all count and are of equal importance as far as I am concerned. Well done for travelling from Warwick it was good to meet you and I enjoyed speaking to you.
    I still find it hard to think of our cars as classic cars because it only seems like yesterday that I bought mine. They were everyday cars back then but now they are classic cars. They evoke happy memories for so many people, Some of you own one for those reasons other people don't own one. I know that I am not alone(like so many other classic car owners) that where ever I go it usually results in a conversation with a total stranger who tells me of the fun times they had with one, or their dad had one etc. It puts a smile on their face and its good to share their enthusiasm.
    I was very pleased to speak to Luke Owen and learn more about his MG Montego Turbo.It does take enthusiasm and dedication to keep these cars on the road and he is an excellent of example of this. This dedication/enthusiasm was clearly displayed throughout our conversation. Listening to your story I am so pleased that you were able to find your dream car. I know what its like looking for a car that you have your mind set on ,the highs ,the lows and then the times you think I'm never going to get one or find one as you see prices go beyond what you feel is acceptable. I hope it continues to give you so many happy years of motoring and provides you with many more happy memories building on your previous ones with your dad. Our cars as said previously are in good hands while the enthusiasm exists in younger members.
    I would not like to have judged which cars should be awarded a prize. That was difficult. I saw some lovely examples. I loved the White ledbury van from Sunderland/washington. I always liked the Maestro vans but didn't realise how much space they had. It was fantastic and great to see. What a great example. You have made a wise purchase. The Oyster beige F reg Maestro was adorable. See beyond the colour and appreciate the car(I don't mind the colour personally but it doesn't appeal to everyone). It was glorious.You could see how authentic it was . All the seams were perfect, the sills where they met the rear arch,inside the boot not a chip,scratch or mark and the wheel arches inside so perfect. You don't get many cars like this. I don't know what you paid for it but it was worth every single penny. You would think it had just come out of the showroom. To anyone who says yes but its only go 6000 miles on the clock what can you expect. Well mileage does not guarantee condition. Cars still rust and deteriorate sat in a dry garage. This car has clearly been cosseted.You are a lucky man to own such a nice car and it was a delight to see
    The shangtung gold 1.6 Montego was stunning. It looked such a warm and lively colour and an excellent example of a Montego of its era.I understand you won a well deserved prize.
    David from South shields I also enjoyed our conversation and well done to you also.
    There were so many other nice cars on display and despite the weather and early finish I am pleased to have been able to attend the show and meet so many fellow enthusiasts.
    Last edited by The Professor; 27th August 2018, 14:32.

Comment

If you don't mind I'll also re-post this on the Facebook page as then we maximise the coverage for your comments?

Cheers, Andrew

Comment

That's fine. Thank you Andrew.
        I don't do facebook, twitter, instagram. I'm still stuck in the 80's.

Comment

Lovely article. Fingers crossed I can attend some shows in my maestro in the near future and get involved.

Ian
          Ian Drew
          MG Maestro Turbo '400'
          MG ZT V8
          Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Working...
          X