• A few Montego's in PC

A few lovely Montego's in this month Practical Classics
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

I spotted it a few days ago when it landed on the doormat. Very good, Jeff. It's always good to see Montegos making it into the classic press, especially such fine examples.

Comment

I wonder whose those would belong to.
      Regards
      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Not got this month's yet, but I did enjoy the 70s feature in the previous issue, particularly a rather familiar All Aggro - credit to John.

Comment

That's a nice feature - well done Jeff!

Comment

Ta all
            Send that over 6 months ago

Comment

You're quite right to keep shoving these old cars down people's thoats in the generalist classic car press. Only that way will they gain any degree of acceptance.

I haven't seen the article yet, I wonder if there will be any written complaints next month from the Classics Police
              Regards
              John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I've just seen the article. How absolutely, perfectly fitting that it appears in the same issue as yet another whining letter from the Classics Police complaining about the amount of 70s/80s "rubbish" in the last couple of issues which were "dreadful when they were new, let alone now". This was almost certainly sparked by the inclusion of Phil Pope's MG Maestro Turbo in November, followed by the recent issue containing the Allegro and Princess.

EDIT: Not sure if this link will work: <Letter to PC's editor>
                Last edited by G51 NAV; 27th February 2010, 20:34.
                Regards
                John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV View Post
                  I've just seen the article. How absolutely, perfectly fitting that it appears in the same issue as yet another whining letter from the Classics Police complaining about the amount of 70s/80s "rubbish" in the last couple of issues which were "dreadful when they were new, let alone now". This was almost certainly sparked by the inclusion of Phil Pope's MG Maestro Turbo in November, followed by the recent issue containing the Allegro and Princess.

EDIT: Not sure if this link will work: <Letter to PC's editor>
                  Have just read it and agree fully.
                  Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
                  VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
                  J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

your sig' made me laugh, i have been there before

Comment

IMO Some cars are 'classics' even as they leave the production line. Age has nothing to do with it. I wonder what the 'classics police' would make of me suggesting that the MG ZTT is a classic never mind the MG Ms! In my view, MGR managed to create a modern day Reliant Scimitar in the ZTT, but with 5 doors instead of 3. Will have to get this copy of PC. The whinger has managed to sell another copy of PC
                      sigpic
                      63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
                      'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
                      '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
                      '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
                      'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
                      '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
                      'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

I agree about cars obtaining 'classic' status quicker than others. Either through instant enthusiasts appeal, or just for being that little bit special.

To build on the example mentioned above, the MG ZT/Rover 75 is a case in point. The extra special examples (V8, LWB, Connoisseur, Monogram special editions) will already be finding their way into the hands of enthusiasts. These are the next generation of classics that are going to get whinged about like our 80s cars are now.

Do these people who write in to PC to complain not realise that eventually there will be no one left who wants to take on 'their' classics if they don't do what they can to encourage newcomers to the hobby? They're more likely to do this by welcoming those in to the group who run cars they remember fondly...and if that's stuff from the 80's, then it shouldn't matter!

I'm sure in a few years time people will be debating the worthyness (or not) of 90s Rover 200s gracing the pages of PC. It's time will come, just like the cars we drive today will one day be 'classics'.

The classic car movement isn't static...it's always moving and changeing. If it stays static...it will die off. It's as simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin-Rover View Post
                          The classic car movement isn't static...it's always moving and changeing. If it stays static...it will die off. It's as simple as that.
                          Can't put it better than that myself

Have now purchased this edition of PC, congrats on being featured Jeff, good to see 'modern trash' being shoved down their noses!!

Comment

Ta all
                            And I managed to get a plug of the club in the mag.

Comment

Working...
                            X