Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are people views of "our" cars changing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are people views of "our" cars changing?

I was at work today when i was stopped by one of the builders on site, who asked me if my car was for sale as it looked nice and he wanted a maestro. He was quite nice about it and we had a little chat about my car and i directed him to the for sale ads on this site to find a car, apparently he has one and wants a "new" one.

I have also been complimented on its condition (he thought it has been re-sprayed) and been told that theyr good cars - apparently he had a diesel for fishing etc and it was really good.

Someone who walked past my parents house and saw my car has also commened on it making a nice change from the "silver forign boxes" that frequent the area.

In face most of the people who have had one in the past i have spoken to recently have said theyr good cars, rather than "oh that thing that rusted".

I know that they are getting rarer and also commanding larger sums when they sell. I'm just finding the whole thing quite funny as i remember when the tesco advert came out people pointing/swearing at me etc (as i had the exact same car) but now people are being nice

Maybe its bcause they have hit the 25 year barrier so are now properly rare?

On a side note ive decided to keep my car as its got good visibility, the engine is bob proof, its good off road, it doesnt mind "puddles" AND keeps up with stuff in the fast lane of the M25 without doing more than 55mpg! It also has two slots that perfectly fit my two mobile phones :-) Really what more could i need? (Well possibly air conditioning after the past few days)

Not sure about Mr Average but I can vouch for the fact that some of the 'generalist' classics people are now happily taking an interest (for example 02Man, who now owns Barney) and they're willing to pay good money for the right car too.
    Regards
    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I do often get compliments from people out and about. On the cars, I mean. That's always nice.

Some are still just out to make derogatory remarks. In the petrol station the other day, I got "I thought all those were dead and buried" - from an Alfa 145 owner (!!), I could've said the same to him!

Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
      VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
      J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

The other day i went to a trackday and was explaining why i was not brilliant at driving the car i drove (it wasnt mine and the steeing and suspension works), and said i drove a maestro TD awaiting the "look" but the guy i spoke to piped up with the fact he liked Triple-m cars and it would be good to take a metro round the track

Comment

i agree with you my landlord had one....a guy at the tip said he had one
          i sat in traffic a guy said to his mate 'you dont see many of those every day'
          i looked at him and said no!
          thats one reason why i drive it and the other 50-70mpg

Yes Tesco's successfully wiped the value off our cars over night with that slanderous advert
          We should seriously do a car sticker with every little helps shop elsewhere in tesco's colours

young kids dont know what the hell the car is...which makes me laugh
          0-60 in 8.2 hours 1/4mile in time for breakfast but the rust wins hands down

Comment

Tesco's ?

I don't know anything about Tesco's and our cars. What is the story? Always looking for a reason to stop the misses going there.

Comment

Originally posted by guussi View Post
              Tesco's successfully wiped the value off our cars over night with that slanderous advert
              I'm not sure it wiped any long-term material value off our cars.

In fact at the moment, good examples are fetching strong prices. Currently there's an exceptional, last-of-line, one owner, low mileage MG Maestro 2.0i on ebay, for four grand. The optomistic seller is obviously of the opinion that there's a market for what quite possibly is a unique vehicle.

At the other end of the scale, any worn out, smoky, smelly old banger, hung together by P38, gaffa-tape and underseal, is going to be worth buttons - Maestro or not - unless it's both desirable and rare.
              Regards
              John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
              MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by gothbob84 View Post
                the engine is bob proof
                Not so sure on that - I've seen how you drive!
                MG ZR, anthracite - sold & gone
                MG Maestro 1600 1.8 S-series track car - will be made road legal for track days
                Montego Turbo - in need of welding to osr arch
                Maestro 1600 VDP - daily drive

Comment

I never get any problems with people in Lincolnshire on either of my Montego's.
                  Lots of people had them before around here as there was a successful main dealer.
                  I get 'isn't that lovely', 'I used to have one of those', 'a Turbo, god haven't seen one of those in years', 'your VP is a beautiful car', then I have to tell them it's a GSi with executive pack etc. 'Is it really over 20 years old?', 'Ah smell that leather it's like new' and more besides.
                  I get people taking pictures of both cars and I even had a guy turn up on my doorstep 2 weeks ago to give my a brand new alloy wheel and tyre from his old VP because he had seen my GSi about, found out where I live and just wanted to see all over it. All I could hear was, lovely car lovely car lovely car lovely car.
                  Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 26th May 2010, 11:43.
                  1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                  1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                  1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                  2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                  2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                  2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by ems ltd View Post
                    Not so sure on that - I've seen how you drive!
                    Well i have not killed it (yet - it may happen) although one of the wheels may fall off at some point as "that garage" still hasnt done my wheel bearing yet

Comment

Thats quite serious! and damn right lazy!

Comment

I gig in me Monty , have done for years and for the first time EVER have received 3 compliments concerning it during the last month what the??? Was good to hear it. Astonishs me no end how these motors are ignored. They are the definitive " I'd one of those when I was goin out with the misses" cars Think they're finally coming of age.

Comment

In fact at the moment, good examples are fetching strong prices. Currently there's an exceptional, last-of-line, one owner, low mileage MG Maestro 2.0i on ebay, for four grand. The optomistic seller is obviously of the opinion that there's a market for what quite possibly is a unique vehicle.
                          I can garrantee that the only way anyone will find a better EFI than the white one mentioned, would be to complete a bare shell rebuild using practically all new parts.

I know this car, it's owner and can vouch for it's condition.

Mal.
                          Last edited by MG MAL; 27th May 2010, 21:51.

Comment

Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
                            I can garrantee that the only way anyone will find a better EFI than the white one mentioned, would be to complete a bare shell rebuild using practically all new parts.

I know this car, it's owner and can vouch for it's condition.

Mal.
                            You've never seen mine then!

Lower mileage and original interior. John O. (G51 NAV) is familiar with it and knows the condition. Not boasting, just putting the record straight.

efiman

Comment

I would love to see your efi, sounds great.

The original interior for that car is currently in my loft and is still "as new" as it was changed out shortly after purchase.

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X