Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery for MG Maestro

Hello All

I am in need of a new battery for my MG 2.0i Maestro, can anyone recommend a good make/model please?

Thanks

Andrew

I have a premium Unipart GBA 4063 on my Maestro still going strong after 4 years and used infrequently and a standard Unipart battery, also an 063 type on the Golf, which is at least 5 years old, used every day. Otherwise go for a well known make such as Varta, Bosch and the like at a motor factors. You could also try Euro Car Parts or GSF to see what they have. Cheaper than Halfords I suspect...
    M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Link for a top spec one at a reasonable price.
      https://www.tayna.co.uk/Type-076-Var...ery-P3131.html
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

That's an excellent price. Just done some digging - you'll not get a Unipart battery any more as they went bust. Unipart batteries were made by Yuasa in any case. Bosch batteries are made by Varta, apparently. I didn't know that!

So...I'd go with Varta!

or, if you want to be more OE faithful, there's always good old Joe Lucas, "Prince of Darkness" https://www.tayna.co.uk/063-Lucas-Pr...ery-P8904.html This one has a 5* review.

Q: Why do the British like warm beer?
        A: Because Lucas make fridges!

Comment

Battery for MG Maestro

Thakds both

I had seen the Varta battery there (and have used Tayna for batteries before) so just ordered one of those

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

I wish I was on comission!
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

When due to be replaced I have always upgraded to the TD Spec battery (Varta).

Comment

I have had unipart samson with a life time warrenty since 1991 and have had the replaced w ith no problem up ontil unipart went bust .When this one goes i get Exide
                Sure & steadfast.
                BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
                1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
                1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TLC View Post
                  I have had unipart samson with a life time warrenty since 1991 and have had the replaced w ith no problem up ontil unipart went bust .
                  So it was your fault then, you all those other people demanding free batteries for 20 odd years
                  Regards
                  John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                  MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV View Post
                    So it was your fault then, you all those other people demanding free batteries for 20 odd years

And me, which is why I mentioned Unipart in my first post. I haven't bought a battery since year 2000, but when this one goes I will have to dig deep!

Comment

Looks like I'll be changing mine in the coming months. I know this thread more than 4 years old, info stay the same ?

Comment

Still seems to fit the bill, I try to use Diesel spec batteries on everything, they last longer on the Petrols and means I can 'borrow' battery from any car for any other car. If you are buying from a motor factors or anywhere else where you can see the battery before buying it, check the weight of the battery, if there are two seemingly identical batteries, but one is heavier, buy the heavy one. The Moura rep, who had always been in the battery business (with Lucas and Energy, before Moura) had some interesting tales about batteries being made down to a price in order to get into lucrative contracts with big distributors....he said that this was always done by reducing the plate count, the light battery will meet the spec, but with less of a margin. His advice was usually sound and I did change one or two just out of warranty batteries that seemed suspiciously light...

Comment

Working...
                        X