What was this car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was this car

I remember this guy having a car it was a maestro in red with a white stripe down the side and the words Austin Cooper S in the Stripe.it had some odd features such as twin blade wipers its registration was a ASV 240 which comes up if I search it as this model
    WHITE AND RED, 1983 AUSTIN COOPER S TYPE UNKNOWN 5 DOOR .
    does anyone have any clue what this car actually was because I can find no references to it. I would like to say that I could have asked him but he was a bit of an oddball and used say things like yeah my car has um speech control, and walk up to door say open and then get in

Any idea what this car was?

It is taxed until December 2015 and motd until Jan 2016! I would guess at the vague description and March 1983 registration date that it's some kind of maestro prototype or early test car. The ASV reg is usually given to a re registered car, I put an old tractor back on the road a few years ago and it was issued with an age related six digit plate starting with ASV!

Comment

PS it does state 1600cc, wonder if it was an MG 1600 predecessor? I'm really intrigued myself now, I want it in my collection!!

Comment

ASV could also mean its been heavily modified. so it may have been a maestro originally (or the shell at least) and then someone went xzibit on its ass.

I seem to remember if major components are changed like shell or engine and suspension, then you have to re-register the car.

Comment

Originally posted by gharper View Post
          I seem to remember if major components are changed like shell or engine and suspension, then you have to re-register the car.
          You only need to re-register the car if the components such as a bodyshell have existing numbers (i.e. a VIN) and have already been used in another vehicle. A new old stock bodyshell which did not previously have a VIN would mean the VIN and registration number from an existing example could be carried over and reused.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by G4GLM View Post
            It is taxed until December 2015 and motd until Jan 2016! I would guess at the vague description and March 1983 registration date that it's some kind of maestro prototype or early test car. The ASV reg is usually given to a re registered car, I put an old tractor back on the road a few years ago and it was issued with an age related six digit plate starting with ASV!
            Interesting its still on the road for a 1983 car, I was hoping here someone owned it.

Comment

Hi all, just come across this old post whilst googling the registration because the logbook says it's a Cooper s type which votes up as a mini. The car in question belongs to my mums husband who has recently died (btw yes he was a proper oddball). That car has been with the same owner for around 27 years (at least) I grew up with this car in my life, it has a talking computer (I used to hide when we drove past my friends lol). He also has 2 more maestros!!! Happy to go and take pics once I have access to where it's now stored

Comment

Sounds very interesting....looking forward to seeing the photos...

Comment

Absolutely and if it or any other Maestros come up for sale please please give us the club members first refusal.

Comment

Here it is

Comment

wow I am amazed that you have this actual car, it must have been 1985 when I saw this car, but it stuck in my mind, do you know what the engine is and also why it had such an unusual number plate and stripes, I could never work it out. I have never seen anything like it. Maybe it was a different owner as it was 32 years ago in chelmsford when I knew it. The wheels look a little different and I don't remember the bonnet pins, Please share some more about it as I'm sure people on here would be as interested as me to solve this. I did not know there was 1600 non mg version, but it is listed as 1600 in dvla.

Comment

Still for sale with many other parts

Comment

Sent you a PM.
                          efiman

Comment

Hi all this car plus others are still available if there is any interest. Needs to be gone asap else unfortunately will have to be scrapped!!!!!! Message for more details

Comment

I think I also know of this car, IIRC I visited it and its' owner somewhere near Exeter in the 1990's.
                              It needs to be saved, if no-one else will have it then I will rescue it.
                              Cherilou please drop me a PM or email mgsmithy@yahoo.co.uk if you run out of time and options,
                              midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

Working...
                              X