Sump Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump Gasket

My sump gasket has a small oil leak , just been looking on ebay for a new one . I have found two types for my car 1994 1.3 petrol maestro , a one piece gasket and a two piece gasket does anyone know which is the correct one?

Originally posted by maestro dave View Post
    My sump gasket has a small oil leak , just been looking on ebay for a new one . I have found two types for my car 1994 1.3 petrol maestro , a one piece gasket and a two piece gasket does anyone know which is the correct one?
    On piece is obviously a on piece seal but but two piece normally locks into each other dave
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
      On piece is obviously a on piece seal but but two piece normally locks into each other dave
      The one piece is a rubber and the two piece is cork is there a better one of the two ? .

Comment

Originally posted by maestro dave View Post
        The one piece is a rubber and the two piece is cork is there a better one of the two ? .
        Both should be ok I expect Dave.
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

gasket sealent

I think and only think that how and where any extra sealant is used might be more important than the actual gasket. Just my thoughts after watching every episode of Wheeler Dealers! Think it might be a while before Mike and Ed go looking for a MMM car!

Comment

I wonder if the rubber one is a newer version of the cork? Cork gaskets weep slightly so I'd go with the rubber. As Jez says, stick some sealant in as well.

Ian
            Ian Drew
            MG Maestro Turbo '400'
            MG ZT V8
            Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Ok thanks .

Comment

If or when you replace the sump gasket, please let us know how you get on.
                As I have the same job to do on my 1.3 van, at some point in time,

(Some pictures would be great if not to much of a pain to do.)

Thanks F.

Comment

overtighten

The other thing Ed from Wheeler Dealers has mentioned more than once is don't overtighten the sump bolts. If they have been overtightened in the past the pan will not be flat on the jointing surface. Use a mental ruler to check the pan is flat and not distorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Fug View Post
                    If or when you replace the sump gasket, please let us know how you get on.
                    As I have the same job to do on my 1.3 van, at some point in time,

(Some pictures would be great if not to much of a pain to do.)

Thanks F.
                    Hi Fug Im pleased to say ive found someone to do it for me while Im at work , I try not to get under cars in this cold damp weather .

Comment

Working...
                    X