Shock Mounting bushes for Montego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Mounting bushes for Montego

I had a problem with one of my rear shocks, became detached from the body, came apart, and basically swivelled into the road, with a loud bang. I thought that was the end of my car, but a good AA man fixed in temporarily for me. Anyway, the result is that I am now missing the lower mounting bush. It sits atop the spring seat, but no one seems to make them any more, and they are quite a large size. I wondered if anyone knows where you can get an equivalent part from? Thanks.
    LPG Converted Montego 2.0gsi 1991 - are there any others?

http://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/g...bsorber-bushes
    ​​​​​this may help bush size is 67x25 with an 18mm hole
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 13th July 2016, 20:32.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

I am not sure but I'd look at the rover 200/zr bushes as I'd bet they are very similar.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Part number EFP7579 are available and for a couple of quid may order one to check (or ask Rimmers for the Dimensions). From Rimmers picture they look concaved and as they fit the Rover 400 as well could well be a good substitute. Thanks for the input; much appreciated

1993 Rover Montego estate 2.0 LXi

1987 Austin Montego 1.6L Auto + pas
        1990 Rover Montego estate 1.6LX Auto
        1993 Rover Montego 2.0 SLXi Auto

Comment

Maestro front shocks are near identical to Golf Mk2 shocks. The rears aren't but I think mainly because they are much longer on the golf, but all the other parts of the rear shocks may be the same. If you get stuck, may be worth looking in to.

Ian
          Ian Drew
          MG Maestro Turbo '400'
          MG ZT V8
          Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Many thanks i'll add this to the liist of possibilities

Comment

I think I found one of each bush last night in the garage. They have the original part numbers though I think. Anyone know what they are to be sure.

Both very soft bushes compared to most - I assume for noise reduction.
              www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
              www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
              www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

The small bush is NAM1180 (still listed as available), the larger bush is NAM1181. Delivery of the Superflex replacement ones i ordered should be in the next day or two.

Comment

The Superflex replacement bushes have arrived and seem to be ok but as suggested by E_T_V they may be too hard at 90shore (see below). They are slightly larger than the 60mm description at 62mm so even nearer the original 67mm. It appears the centres are drilled after moulding (could be wrong on that) so if i had my time again i would ask for them to be drilled to original NAM1181 spec - 18mm. Drilling out to a larger size will need to be done to allow the spacer to fit if you don't specify (or Superflex cannot supply) an 18mm hole. Future requests would be supplied in 88shore (apparently there was an issue with the relationship between 25mm thick and cutting the 90shore hardness.) or even 80shore if prefered; please make your own judgement on suitability but if i find the 90 shore is unsuitable i'll update this thread. In case it's not clear from the photo the colour is black and the two bushes sent to me were under £20 inc post for the pair. I hope this all helps towards keeping these cars on the road
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	NAM1181 substitute 001.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	316485

Comment

I ordered some off-the-shelf SF373-0138CK (pair of) 0138C bushes from superflex. They are described as "Superflex Diff Mount Spacer, Lower Kit of 2, Face Lift MK II Saloon, replaces OEM# UKC5328" for Triumphs! They were about £15 including postage. They are ID 16.5mm, OD 61mm and height 18mm, slightly lower than the original part. However I have also ordered some different sleeves off ebay, but not sure if I'll need them. They seem to fit on to the shock quite well, apart from being shorter.

No idea whether they are the right hardness. They seem slightly harder than the original bushes, but they will do for now!

LPG Converted Montego 2.0gsi 1991 - are there any others?

Comment

Yes this really is 12 months later. But an update was promised on the polybush replacements. In short they are useless (unless anyone has tried and got them to work) the issue revolves around the hardness of the polybush supplied (slightly harder than the normal polybush but i think even the standard one wouldn't work either) and the fact that the shocker comes away from the upper seat at and angle thus compressing the bush i an offset way. With the polybush it is so hard it won't give consequently distorting the shock absorber rod causing it to lock up against the casing of the absorber itself. In the end the old bushes weren't that bad so just turned the weather beaten side to the inside of the car and all is well again. I'll let superflex know the outcome who in all other respects i've found to be an excellent supplier.

Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by zephyr View Post
                        The Superflex replacement bushes have arrived and seem to be ok but as suggested by E_T_V they may be too hard at 90shore (see below). They are slightly larger than the 60mm description at 62mm so even nearer the original 67mm. It appears the centres are drilled after moulding (could be wrong on that) so if i had my time again i would ask for them to be drilled to original NAM1181 spec - 18mm. Drilling out to a larger size will need to be done to allow the spacer to fit if you don't specify (or Superflex cannot supply) an 18mm hole. Future requests would be supplied in 88shore (apparently there was an issue with the relationship between 25mm thick and cutting the 90shore hardness.) or even 80shore if prefered; please make your own judgement on suitability but if i find the 90 shore is unsuitable i'll update this thread. In case it's not clear from the photo the colour is black and the two bushes sent to me were under £20 inc post for the pair. I hope this all helps towards keeping these cars on the road
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]n316485[/ATTACH]
                        Hi I'm looking for NAM1181 - how did this work out ? Thanks, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcharger View Post

Hi I'm looking for NAM1181 - how did this work out ? Thanks, Chris
                          Read Arthurs thread above yours Chris. They're useless
                          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                          2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                          2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

Read Arthurs thread above yours Chris. They're useless
                            That's not good, we'll see in what state they're in this week.

Comment

I have managed to source 10 brand new original pieces.

Comment

Working...
                              X