Metal Bumper Painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Bumper Painting

I have striped my metal bumper back to the bare shiney metal now I know I need to apply anti rust stuff, high etch primer then paint, rubbi g down after each coat. My question is how many coats of anti rust, primer and top coat do I need to apply?
    the more I apply the better the finish but how far do you go without being silly?

Cheers
    S

I normally put a couple of coats of bonda primer on, not rubbed down, then a couple of coats of hi build grey or white primer, then rub this down, spraying another coat on if there is the faintest sign of pink showing, as there can be problems if you sand back to the anti rust primer, hence the use of a completely different colour...then 3 coats of finish...it has generally worked for me, but doesn't mean it is right See what everyone else says & take an average

Comment

Doctor Diesel's advice sounds sensible. Personally, I like screw fix red oxide under the spray paint (flatted of course). I use it on stationery engines and it's tough. Saying that though, I'll be powder coating mine. Even with two coats the price is very reasonable.

Comment

i sent mine away and had it powder coated, only cost £80 and is still going strong 5 years later

Comment

Got everything done now but one more question. What do I do after the top coat? do I lacquer it or just leave it as it is? I dont want it getting scratched to the bone easy. Cheers S

Comment

Needs to be satin finish as standard so standard lacquer shouldn't be used as that'll turn it glossy.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Working...
            X