Lucky Escape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky Escape?

Last week the wife and I went on holiday and decided to do the North Coast 500 in our Maestro, but alas only 51 miles in we heard a bang and grinding from the back end. We knew the bearing had gone. We were recovered to Lochcarron and the damage was quite bad, apparently the bearing had gone and also took out my brake drum!!!
    has anyone known that to happen? The mechanic said we were very lucky. How much more damage could it have done as I have never had that happen before. In the end it cost £214 to get fixed. We didn't have time to complete the NC500 so plans have been drawn up for next year.

My that was lucky. I'm in France atm but my wheel bearing that I replaced only lasted 6 months on my mgzt 260, I had to change that again a day before I left as it was about to fail.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

I've never heard of a Maestro rear bearing going like that before. Relatively speaking there's very little stress on them and they can be a wobbly and noisy for a while and be usable.
      Jeff, that can't be normal for the bearing to go after only 6 months! Are they bearings unique to the 260? My 260's now on 123,000 and (fingers crossed) had no bearing issues.
      Ian
      Ian Drew
      MG Maestro Turbo '400'
      MG ZT V8
      Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

I've not come across any rear wheel bearing problems either, but have seen a few that had a lot less grease in than I'd have liked, they usually become noisy before failing though. A lot of more modern mechanics seem to have an aversion to grease, which can lead to all sorts of problems. Re the 6 month bearing I have come across 'sealed for life' bearings that seemed to have missed out on being greased in the factory...we dissected one of the same batch that had caused a fire after about 100 hours running...it contained a faint hint of grease. Maybe just bad luck, where did yours come from Jeff?

Comment

Originally posted by ian drew View Post
          I've never heard of a Maestro rear bearing going like that before. Relatively speaking there's very little stress on them and they can be a wobbly and noisy for a while and be usable.
          Jeff, that can't be normal for the bearing to go after only 6 months! Are they bearings unique to the 260? My 260's now on 123,000 and (fingers crossed) had no bearing issues.
          Ian
          Was a company I've used before and not had any problems previously . They're not unique to the V8 though front and rear are the same bearing
          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
          2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
          2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
          2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Maybe just bad luck or a pothole then...I usually try to shove extra grease between the inner races before fitting, a bit messy and I don't know if it makes it into the bearings, but can't do any harm. Annoying when new bits fail early tho'..

Comment

Working...
            X