Almost Finished!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost Finished!!!!

I had registered here back in 2012 but due to other commitments my Monty has taken a back seat for the past few years undergoing a lengthy renovation to say the least. I bought the car back in 2011 in memory of my Dad who passed away the year before. He worked for Rover as an Engineer and I grew up with BL/Austin/Rovers so couldn't think of a better thing to do than try to recreate a car that he had when I was 11 years old. I've even managed to get the paint matched to Charleston Green, which I believe was a rare colour back then for one of these. I'm sure his original car is long gone but I have allot to thank it for as it saved my life (so the police told me and my mum) when we were involved in a very big accident in 1992 when a Rover P6 ran a red light and landed on top of us. So I've always had a soft spot for the Monty.
    So whats been done???I have had the rear wings replaced and both sills and its now had a full body restoration and bare metal respray. When I get the car back I'll start on the engine (new clutch, engine mounts, full service and a steam clean). Then the interior (could do with a drivers seat in dark blue if anyone knows of one?)

I collect the car in about 6 weeks and I'm looking forward to it. I hope no one every finds out how much I've spent getting this car to this stage!!!!!!!

I'm sure I'll be posting more stuff as and when but wanted to let people know that there is another one being saved.

P.S I also have the chance of an 1986 Turbo needing full resto if anyone is interested?

Originally posted by Appleyard Monty View Post
    I had registered here back in 2012 but due to other commitments my Monty has taken a back seat for the past few years undergoing a lengthy renovation to say the least. I bought the car back in 2011 in memory of my Dad who passed away the year before. He worked for Rover as an Engineer and I grew up with BL/Austin/Rovers so couldn't think of a better thing to do than try to recreate a car that he had when I was 11 years old. I've even managed to get the paint matched to Charleston Green, which I believe was a rare colour back then for one of these. I'm sure his original car is long gone but I have allot to thank it for as it saved my life (so the police told me and my mum) when we were involved in a very big accident in 1992 when a Rover P6 ran a red light and landed on top of us. So I've always had a soft spot for the Monty.
    So whats been done???I have had the rear wings replaced and both sills and its now had a full body restoration and bare metal respray. When I get the car back I'll start on the engine (new clutch, engine mounts, full service and a steam clean). Then the interior (could do with a drivers seat in dark blue if anyone knows of one?)

I collect the car in about 6 weeks and I'm looking forward to it. I hope no one every finds out how much I've spent getting this car to this stage!!!!!!!

I'm sure I'll be posting more stuff as and when but wanted to let people know that there is another one being saved.

P.S I also have the chance of an 1986 Turbo needing full resto if anyone is interested?
    Looking good that, The Turbo wouldn't happen to be silver or white would it?
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

cheers, it's a red one.

Comment

Hi and welcome. Looks like a great project you've started there. I hope you have a garage to keep her in over the winter! What engine is in it, as in 1.6 or 2 litre? I assume then that it's a while since you've driven her?

Good luck with it all.

Ian
        Ian Drew
        MG Maestro Turbo '400'
        MG ZT V8
        Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Originally posted by Appleyard Monty View Post
          cheers, it's a red one.
          Ah right, targa red. Lovely colour and resto of my Montego is that colour. Always interested in Turbos, any pics or history with the car ?

Comment

Hi, Yes she will be garaged all the time going forward. its a 1.6 lump and she will need a good service and an engine mount as the gear movement was a bit suspect the last time I drover her (about 3 years ago). Just bought 4 original MG cross spoke /turbo/advantage alloys. Already have OEM front splitter spoiler (2 piece), just need boot spoiler if anyone knows of one?
            On the Red Turbo, I'm looking into it further and will try and get photos if poss. Think it may have been crashed a some point so!!!!!

Comment

What sort of boot spoiler as there are two types?

Comment

Picking the Monty up in 3 weeks time, The bodywork is now pretty much 100% and its taken 3 years with allot of cutting a welding but I'm really happy with the result. Now its time for the engine............clutch is stuck to the flywheel and its just needing a basic overhaul so thats next........I have an OEM front spoiler so would like the boot spoiler to match if anyone has one, I think these were fitting to the SXI or was it even SLXI??models. As you will note that door mouldings were not able to be saved to if anyone know where to get these then that would be much appreciated. Sorry just whilst i remember I also want a radio casette (was it a phillips?). I have a set of 15 MG alloys that I will be putting on and then its all set to go.

Comment

Looking good. It's certainly a boost to morale when the body work is finished. Now you can get stuck into the engine and transmission. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X