• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John C
    started a poll BLOG MY RIDE: Rally MG Maestro 1600 - Car B

BLOG MY RIDE: Rally MG Maestro 1600 - Car B

NO: Not more than a couple of hundred quid
    5.36%
    MAYBE: Maestros will never be as popular as other marques e.g. classic Fords, Minis etc.
    19.64%
    YES: It has an MG badge and they are v rare so will appreciate as it hits 35+
    75.00%
    View more answers
    View less answers
    We've got 3 of these identical cars (believed to originate from Goodwood Rally School) and if anyone knows anything about their history we would be very interested!

The cars were standing for yonks and so needed a proper good clean up, overhaul etc. Remarkably, they appear to be quite solid with little rust -possibly because it had been heavily painted in its Green/White rally school livery which made it last a lot better then the factory paint job.

The cars are ideal for Trackdays, Barkston Sprints, Autocross, practising rally-driving skills etc. and if anyone is interested in joining us and sharing driving of it then do get in touch.

[N.B. Car would need a lot of new stuff to get an MSA logbook e.g. seats, harnesses, plumbed in extinguisher, window film and possibly a homologated cage]

MG MAESTRO RALLY CAR SPEC

Formerly of Goodwood rally school
    Engine: R Series 1.6 litre (approx 103 Bhp)
    Produced approx March 83 Jun 84

ROAD CAR PERFORMANCE STATS:
    MG Maestro 1600 111 mph 9.6s 0-60 mph 29.5 mpg

Professionally manufactured Roll Cage: Nick Stafford could not find any markings at all on the Maestro roll cage. There is nothing in the usual places, so have no idea what spec the cage is.

Stripped out interior
    Seam welded
    Tyres: Forest rally (well used)
    Bucket seats
    Harnesses
    Hand held fire extinguisher
    Battery Cut Off handle
    Hydraulic Handbrake
    Co-drivers foot rest

I found the following info on rally MG Maestros, BTW:

http://www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?lm10memoriesjdf.htm
    http://www.simonh.strayduck.com/rally/srally_03.html
    http://www.mgcars.org.uk/cambs.mgoc/fwd/fwdrally.html
    Last edited by Austin-Rover; 24th April 2013, 18:49. Reason: Thread title changed at request of OP

• John C
    replied
    Car has been resprayed in Ford Diamond White (the mid-shade of white) and is now at another institution for re-assembly

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    I believe that Myerscough will have finished their rebuild of this car by the end of the Summer term. It has a freshly rebuilt pukka engine ready to go in as well.

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    Agreed -this is a very exciting project that is worthy of a magazine feature and shows such as this http://www.raceretro.com/

Leave a comment:

• Team Myerscough
    replied
    It will be great to see a piece of British motorsport heritage brought back to life and I feel that considering the build has been done by students to the best of their ability makes it all the more special.
    Danny
    Motorsport Tutor
    Myerscough College

Leave a comment:

• Team Myerscough
    replied
    Hi all
    Just an update for you. A new group of students will be continuing the project starting in the next 2 weeks (week commencing 19th Sept).
    As you can see from the previous pics the cage has been added to as there was no diagonal in the structure.

This term will see the students carry out the final shell prep on the outside ready for it to be painted over Christmas.

Also John supplied us with a Moto-Build built race engine that needs a quick once over then that will be put in during the final stages between new year 2017 and June 2017.

Leave a comment:

• mr.maestro
    replied
    unusual looking cage!

Leave a comment:

• g200mss #146
    replied
    This is taking shame nicely. Looks fresh

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    Wow -that's incredible! It looks like it would have done going through the factory at Cowley Oxford in '83
    Great work, guys

Leave a comment:

• Team Myerscough
    replied
    Hello, sorry for the lack of post on here recently, we have been very busy with our course work. Here are some recent images of how we have progressed with the Maestro over the past few months.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• tonyrs
    replied
    scuttle panel

i have a scuttle panel 35 + postage, 07810898622

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    The college are struggling to source a replacement Scuttle panel (that fits at the base of the windscreen).
    Does anyone have one (or a shell that's being broken for parts and can get it off)?

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    Great to see what the college engineers are doing with this car -they don't mess about do they!

I'm surprised to hear about the stress cracking (excellent photos and annotations BTW).

After the Austin Rover rally sprint at Donington Park the cars went to
    http://www.silverstone.co.uk/experie...iver-coaching/

and then were sold to Goodwood's 'Mithril' for corporate rally days http://www.mithril.co.uk/about.asp

I think the hammering from their life at the latter venue is what will have generated the stress cracking.

However, these are all problems likely to be encountered by the students if they work on historic motorsport vehicles in the future, so I hope it will be useful experience for them

Leave a comment:

• g200mss #146
    replied
    Thanks for the pics, its interesting to see. Seems its had a hard life. The only stress damage I found on mine was on rear turrets where the struts mount. They had pushed up slightly. So I have reinforced mine there when rebuilding.

Leave a comment:

• Team Myerscough
    replied
    Here are some close ups of the cracks.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X