Montego race & rally cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=EVO AL;168565][/URL]

Looks like it was used in rallycross at one time looking at this pic. Stars in the back window and stickers over the headlights

Ive always thought it was such a shame it was scrapped. Surely someone could have taken it over. Good bit of history that

Comment

there is a new photo album entitled MG Montegos - MGOC Race Championship

on the BMC marques Motorsport Group

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3904223&type=1

Comment

Is 'Levi' not rebuilding the 6R4 anymore, he was a while ago??

C

Comment

I think he only kept the bodykited Montego he got from Clayton. Chris has put a rollcage in it and planed to race in the MGOC.
          *****MG Maestro Turbo # 496*****
          Follow me at
          FourNineSix

Comment

Originally posted by chrisl View Post
            Is 'Levi' not rebuilding the 6R4 anymore, he was a while ago??

C
            Scrapped
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
            2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

RALLY SPORT magazine (Aug '92) - p56 has a report on the MINTEX NATIONAL RALLY SERIES round 4 (Severn Valley stages). Car 207's entry says:

"Roger Binyon/Simon Linley. MG Montego (Fusions; Blitz Vision). Overall 6th. Class 5th"

N.B. the above result (which relates to the sorry looking white MG Montego pictured in the thread above) was listed within the part of the entry list constituting the RESTRICTED SECTION

Comment

Here's one of the clubman race Montegos (formerly red/white/blue, now primrose yellow):
                http://www.montegoracing.co.uk/

There haven't been any updates on the site for 6 years though, so not sure if it's still being campaigned. The driver appears to be 'Hoke Colburn', but the car was originally built by Andy Campbell according to the website (see links below for more info):

Proper Bo! Racing Blog: www.properboracing.blogspot.com
                Pole Position Magazine - Bizarre Racers: bizarre_racers.pdf
                Photos on Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/tags/montegoestate/

Comment

montego

hope it still survives,but if theres been no updates its unlikely I think john.
                  Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16230

As mentioned here, Silverstone Racing School ran Montegos in their Club races in 1987/88. They were equipped with a short exhaust poking out of the side of the cars, which sounded semi-racy, harder suspension than the Maestros had, but they still refused to turn into corners, needing braking into the corner to flick its large rear end out to get some rotation... The Turbos were fun, and they had 1 turbo run to Group A regulations which was evil to drive..

The SRS Montegos were good on the old Silverstone Grand Prix circuit where they could stretch their legs better than the Club circuit. Hardly 'hot hatch' racing, but they taught us SRS students to handle bigger cars.

Comment

old thread but worthy of a bump, found this scan of the article on retrorides

Comment

Great find! Pity Rover never fitted the M16 themselves, would have wiped the smile off a few people's faces I think....

Comment

My that's a blast from the past. Old friend of mine Chris ended up with this car minus the engine. He was going to put a skyline engine in it and did all the mock ups etc. Unfortunately he ended up scrapping it. Mal, Lee and I ended up buying 3 montegos off his dad that were in his field for many years.
                          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                          2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                          2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

such a shame to hear it got scrapped, i would have thought its gartrac connection would have saved it

Comment

A disgraceful waste of a piece of unique motorsport history that is gone forever and will never be recovered. What a shame.

Comment

I have just located the original Montego estate race car. I was the co builder with Andy Campbell. Its rough but I intend to revive it.

Comment

Working...
                                X