Flooded!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flooded!

Well we have just come back from 5 days away to find my garage flooded, it rained in through the door when it was first built around 4 years ago, a better seal was put at the base of the door and it has been as dry as the desert since. Anyway, after the recent storm I have ended up with six inch of water sat in there for a few days, it stinks. I am still in shock and cannot believe it, we live around 500ft above sea level and very nearly the highest house in the village! Books, gaskets, tools etc have all been ruined, new panels have been sat in the water and gone rusty, but to put icing on the cake my newly recovered interior and headlining an recently reconditioned cylinder head and block have also been got, the block I'm sure will be fine but the head is full of the dirty water. It is also home to my MG Turbo, it is sat on axle stands so hasn't really come to any harm but to see it set in water isn't good. To say I am as sick as a Blackpool donkey is an understatement, i had a tear in my eye and to be honest I've only managed to tidy up a small area, I just can't face it all yet. I recently bought a new speedo binnacle from Pete, that's ruined along with a lot of the stuff I got from Ray for my Maestro. Why o why does this have to happen!

sorry to hear this, these things are meant to test us! hope everything cleans up
    MG Maestro turbo 437
    367 Bhp

Comment

Absolutely gutted for you! This is not what is needed for anything you cherish. I'm sure that the tools at least will clean up, and the head and block should be OK, once all the water has been eradicated. Chin up mate and you may want to attend that new seal - its doing too good a job!!
      Membership Secretary
      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

What a catastrophe. Hope, with time, you can rescue some of your parts.

Ian

Comment

Thank you for the replies, I'm sure the block is ok, the head I tipped around and left out to dry, went to it again this morning and a cup full of water came out again! I think I will strip it down again and make sure it's dry and clean, the water is quite dirty, it's not from a sewerage but very brown and yukky. A lot of the tools were electrical, my grinder, polisher, drill have all fallen foul of the water, I think my welder should be ok but the wire has gone rusty so will have to be changed. Still not half way through it all yet!

Comment

Sorry to hear that Gavin, I'm assuming this hasn't happened before?
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
            2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
              Sorry to hear that Gavin, I'm assuming this hasn't happened before?
              Only a couple of very small puddles before I did the door seal four years ago, been dry as a you know what since then! Half of it is carpeted, which makes the mopping up harder! We were away but I heard that the rain was a one of a kind in terms of downfall!

Comment

Other that trying to salvage what you can and maybe build a small ridge at the front of the garage door there's not much you can do about flooding unfortunately
                1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Very true Jeff, I have a wooden strip at the bottom which is screwed down and siliconed. I also have a drain running the full width about six inch in front of the door, I thought I'd give that a clean out today and it was runny perfectly, couldn't get it to back up or do anything wrong with buckets of water and the hose pipe. It must have been one heck of a downpour!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X