Chrome rattle cans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome rattle cans

Anyone tryed them with any success ? Ive possable got a little project comeing up but its need to be a good mirror like finish or would i need to go to a bady shop
    Sure & steadfast.
    BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
    1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
    1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

I've found all of then to be rubbish at chrome
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Jeff so have i with what i have seen maybe seeing about a paintshop job as most moden cars are done this way when made
      Sure & steadfast.
      1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Chrome plastic wrap?
        Silver MG Maestro - C555, needs some anti rust love

Comment

Originally posted by neallew View Post
          Chrome plastic wrap?
          Not sure as i carnt wrapp around as its the center of the black plastic that need to be chrome .Stick on chrome maybe but then its got to be thinn and its also got to ben at the front and come down along the window screen piller
          Sure & steadfast.

Comment

Originally posted by TLC View Post
            Not sure as i carnt wrapp around as its the center of the black plastic that need to be chrome .Stick on chrome maybe but then its got to be thinn and its also got to ben at the front and come down along the window screen piller
            Have you asked a car wrap company to try for you? It's a simple job for them and as they may not be as busy during covid try that

Comment

Iam not haveing something stuck on that could peel off in a few years time
              Sure & steadfast.

Comment

Then i can't help you

Comment

Chrome (and other mirror metal) finishes can be had from an aerosol, however they are decorative finishes and don't withstand handling. It's fine for an application like a rear light reflector but will go dull or rub off completely if it's on any sort of exterior surface outdoors for any length of time. Chrome powder coating can be quite convincing, especially on smaller items, and is quite hard wearing. The larger the area you do with a chrome powder coat the less convincing it is. Vinyl wraps are probably one of the most convincing of the chrome finishes initially, but a short working life of 3-7 years and the fact that it does get more fragile with time means it's a finish that doesn't last. As soon as vinyl wraps get scratched it's impossible to correct. If you're confident enough handling the relevant chemicals you could try nickel plating the item at home, this isn't as bright as chrome and has a slightly yellow/gold finish in certain lights but has the advantage of being able to stand up to a good bit of wear and tear and being able to be polished just like chrome, so it's ideal for removable trim items.

Knowing what you're trying to get a chrome finish on would help, different items and applications are tolerant of different finishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulgalour View Post
                    Chrome (and other mirror metal) finishes can be had from an aerosol, however they are decorative finishes and don't withstand handling. It's fine for an application like a rear light reflector but will go dull or rub off completely if it's on any sort of exterior surface outdoors for any length of time. Chrome powder coating can be quite convincing, especially on smaller items, and is quite hard wearing. The larger the area you do with a chrome powder coat the less convincing it is. Vinyl wraps are probably one of the most convincing of the chrome finishes initially, but a short working life of 3-7 years and the fact that it does get more fragile with time means it's a finish that doesn't last. As soon as vinyl wraps get scratched it's impossible to correct. If you're confident enough handling the relevant chemicals you could try nickel plating the item at home, this isn't as bright as chrome and has a slightly yellow/gold finish in certain lights but has the advantage of being able to stand up to a good bit of wear and tear and being able to be polished just like chrome, so it's ideal for removable trim items.

Knowing what you're trying to get a chrome finish on would help, different items and applications are tolerant of different finishes.
                    It is the plastic strip in the centre of the black window surrounds etc, so original would be done with vapour deposition, if that is the right term (I think probably not ). Wrap is probably easiest fix, but as you say won't last too long, proper plating unfortunately not a possibility... Now I think about it, the strips might be real metal...fiddly things to deal with anyway...

Comment

If it's a metal base it's probably aluminium or stainless in which case you're in luck because they polish up lovely. If it's a seperate insert perhaps it's the same as used on many a 70s car? In which case, there's a good number of suppliers for various profiles of that.

Comment

It's not a metal part that he wants done, it's the plastic gutter trim and window surrounds

Comment

That's a tricky one then if you're wanting an actual chrome finish. Depending on the temperature the plastics will tolerate you might be able to redo it with high temperature tape and chrome powder coat which should be a robust finish and, being such a narrow strip, be quite convincingly chrome. My only concern would be the melting/warping point of the plastic being lower than the baking point of the powder coating. Another that might work is hydrodipping, though I'm not sure what options are avaiable with chrome finishes for that.

Comment

Working...
                          X