Maestro Turbo rescued from scrapyard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro Turbo rescued from scrapyard

Greetings all, just making my first post having rescued a Maestro Turbo from my local scrapyard 9 months ago. Luckily it was rescued virtually complete including documents etc, so a rebuild has just commenced. It's a red example reg# F90 BJW with chassis # 586233 which I think is #64 of the 505. The previous owner kept it his garage for many years with the intention of a restoration, but sadly passed away before starting the work. His family then cleared out his garage and deposited t

Welcome, wow, great story. The family members or scrap yard must not have realised what it was. Terrible examples have been making good money the last few years. Bet you got a bargain. Any pictures? Which area of the country did you find it?
    MG Maestro Turbo #500
    Rover 420i
    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible

Comment

well done in saving this rare car.be nice to see stage by stage of your restoration in pictures.welcome and enjoy your car

Comment

Restoration is under way at my local garage down here in Somerset and will post pictures soon. Will also be seeking a few missing parts - posting list soon.

Comment

Well done and what a find!!

This never happens to me.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the restoration.

Comment

Nicely done Colin, any pics?
            Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 24th March 2017, 12:49.
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible, nearly finished
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Out and being used
            1984 MG Montego EFi in black. Digital dash and stored away for now.
            1984 MG Montego EFI. Digital dash. Work will restart soon
            2002 MGZS 180. Cheap 50 car
            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
            2004 MGZT V8. What a car, my fave atm

Comment

Thanks Jeff, pictures on the way. I've only just realised that my original post looks like it got truncated (is there a limit here?) - to finish the story the scrapyard owner gave the family 50 and the same day my friend Martin Smith (of MGF/TF spares fame) turned up and immediately realised what was there and paid 500 for it. I bought it a few weeks from Martin for 1500 after he gently persuaded me to restore it back to it's former glory. So far engine is up and running and bodywork is now the focus....

Comment

It's an interesting history already. It's amazing just how much fate is involved in saving these Maestro's.

I look forward to seeing the progress. Make sure there are plenty of photos.

It reminds me that once the weather gets better I must get on with my own Turbo restoration.

Ian

Comment

Morning, just realised over the week-end that my Turbo is actually #68 of the 505, and not 64 as I stated above.

Comment

Morning, a few pictures taken 10 days ago

Comment

Looks good..not too much wrong with the bodywork by the looks of it...

Comment

The motoring equivalent of finding a Ming Vase in a charity shop.

Interesting that the two people that passed it on made a total of 1450 just for handling it! Still 1500 is an absolute bargain these days as I spoke to a chap who had paid over four times that amount for one that needed repainting.

Comment

Well finally finished after a year in my local village garage. Hopefully we'll have some spring sunshine to enjoy a few runs to various shows. Meanwhile here are a few pics....

Comment

Wow absolutely stunning.

Comment

very nice job well done, whats its value now?
                              MG Maestro turbo 437
                              367 Bhp

Comment

Working...
                              X