Project 41's introduction.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 41's introduction.....

So I've been a lurker on Facebook for a while know as I always had a soft spot for Maestros - my dad had an A reg VDP when I was growing up. I've always been into my VW Polo's & as such still one of the founding members of Club Polo.... (But don't hold that against me!)

i had had seen an advert on the Facebook page for a Montego 1.6 for 500 & took a shine to it. But coming up for Christmas & having 3 kids & a wife to buy presents for it was out of my budget.... A couple of weeks later I see Pat, the owner, has started doing a Bonus ball for said Montego - so I picked a number - paid my 9.... And I won it!!

So it's been dubbed Project 41.... Initial plans are to get it from Canterbury up to me in Scotland. Asses any rust which needs taken care of & then slowly work over everything, upgrading a few parts as I go....

That is the only picture I have currently!

wishe me luck!!

Welcome to the forum.

That was a stroke of luck (Bonus Ball).

Bags of experience on here to help you with your project.

Comment

I'm pretty good at trying most things (welding & paintwork aside) - Haynes manual bought already!
      Its 389 miles from me to the car!! Trying to get a lift down & then drive it back up.....

Comment

You were obviously destined to own one!
        She looks pretty solid so good luck. If a 389 mile tripdoesn't highlight any issues then nothing will.

Good luck,
        Ian
        Ian Drew
        MG Maestro Turbo '400'
        MG ZT V8
        Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

A good friend of mine called James Herschell is collecting it for me towards the end of next week. He's going to store it at his place near Birmingham until I can get down for it at the end of the month. While its in his care he is going to check it all over as he's had 5 Maestros himself previously & use to be part of the club.

Comment

On its way....

Comment

Nice story. Good luck with the project. Looks half decent so hopefully an easy one!

Comment

That's it at my friend's..... Now for the bad bits!!!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Looks like I'll be learning how to weld then!!

Comment

Ooo front and rear screens out, be careful with those, other than that its not too bad
                        1958 Ford Consul Convertible, new seats done, gorgeous
                        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Put away for the winter
                        1984 MG Montego EFi. Digital dash. Resto commences
                        1984 MG Montego EFI. Digital dash putting together
                        2002 MGZS 180. Cheap 50 car
                        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                        2004 MGZT V8. What a car, my fave atm

Comment

Pretty sure everything will need to come out, strip the doors down too & fix the mechanisms & repair the rust. Then rub back the arches and paint them too & see how much I can get away with not doing a full respray - but if needs must.

I'm going to run it unto July when the MOT expires and then decide its fate from then.... If its got under my skin & refuses to die then i'll keep it.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X