cambelt age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cambelt age?

Hi all I have a number of nos Unipart cambelts for the O seies. I bought them years ago and they have been stored in their boxes in my garage, out of the light. I was going to fit one but then started thinking of the age of them-does it matter? There are some Unipart ones on ebay and ebven if you buy a new aftermarket one they don't seem to be dte stamped, so how would you know the age anyway? Any views?
    TIA
    Phil

Originally posted by philippope View Post
    Hi all I have a number of nos Unipart cambelts for the O seies. I bought them years ago and they have been stored in their boxes in my garage, out of the light. I was going to fit one but then started thinking of the age of them-does it matter? There are some Unipart ones on ebay and ebven if you buy a new aftermarket one they don't seem to be dte stamped, so how would you know the age anyway? Any views?
    TIA
    Phil
    I would use NOS belt Phil, as it's been stored ok
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

cambelt age?

if memory serves they are non contact with the valves if the cambelt goes... i know they are deffo ok with the turbo.. regards ricky
      home of the "mad maestro"
      rover sterling kv6 and four tailpipes on lenso rs5's
      1935 Morris 18/6 being rejuvenated with xj6 parts

Comment

Okey dokey thanks chaps

Comment

I know the 1.6 doesn't wreck the valves but I thought the two litre O series did?

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
            I know the 1.6 doesn't wreck the valves but I thought the two litre O series did?
            Yes that is right Russ. None of the two litre "O2" series engines are safe, not even the Turbo.

Regards, Gary

Comment

So witch one is correct if the cambelt goes on the 2.0 turbo does it hit the valves or not ?

Comment

Yes,the valves get hit!
                Out of interest did the pistons hit the valves on the original princess type engine?

Comment

i have a turbo and have shattered the camshaft on several occasions and have been able to fit a replacement cam roadside and carry on driving, albeit with a rescue mission from one of my brothers to get a spare camshaft and followers.. was usually the follower breaking up.. but never a valve... regards ricky

Comment

Originally posted by thamestyres View Post
                    i have a turbo and have shattered the camshaft on several occasions and have been able to fit a replacement cam roadside and carry on driving, albeit with a rescue mission from one of my brothers to get a spare camshaft and followers.. was usually the follower breaking up.. but never a valve... regards ricky
                    Wouldn't it be a bit easier for you to replace the cam belt now and again

Comment

was generally bucket breaking up

Comment

Is it right that turbo buckets are stronger?

Comment

they used to be slightly longer than the std efi ones.. made them more reliable as well.. regards ricky

Comment

Cheers
                            They must tolerate higher RPM then? As I understand the bucket issue is that when revving at over 6000rpm the cam flexes slightly allowing the bucket to jump off the valve spring and turn over causing all hell to break loose

Comment

I think early montego turbos had cast buckets - later have steel ones inc all maestro turbos. Had a similar failure but valve collets worked lose and dropped an exhaust valve. I now have fitted Triumph Spitfire 1500 uprated valve springs that I'm hoping will keep things together?

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Working...
                              X