Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front and rear wheel bearings.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Front and rear wheel bearings.

    Whilst spares are still reasonably cheap and plentiful trying to get a full set for the inevitable day I need to change some (already changed two 1 1/2 years ago). If I use the AR EPC parts cat I will of course get the part corresponding to that the car at the time it was made (10/86). I seem to remember that at some time during its life the Maestro change front wheel bearings three times, the last ones being a single unit and by all accounts the best. I am assuming they would fit a 1986 model as I understand it can anyone confirm that and maybe give me a part number ? Many thanks, Chris

  • #2
    The early type hub is different from the later single type. I think there are three changes in bearings, but only two changes in the hub. I have a new early type spare is anyone needs one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jez View Post
      The early type hub is different from the later single type. I think there are three changes in bearings, but only two changes in the hub. I have a new early type spare is anyone needs one.
      Thanks, good to know that.

      Comment


      • #4
        The three types are, early, two separate ball thrust bearings, with a separate seal, bearing housing in spindle is stepped and the hub is a different diameter to the later ones, these were the bearings that got front wheel bearings a bad name! First of the later ones is a one piece ball thrust bearing with integral seal, bearing housing in spindle is just a plain hole, these were less prone to catastrophic failure, but were prone to becoming noisy due to pitting, the third and best ones were single piece taper roller bearings, which look very similar to the one piece ball thrust, but have much higher load rating, last longer and tend not to become noisy. If yours are the two piece ones then the good news is that they are very cheap and readily available, so stocking up will not be too painful! I have got the Rover service bulletin on the single piece bearings, so I'll look the part numbers of the good ones up on it. The aftermarket bearings can be either taper roller or ball, it is not easy to tell them apart, but if the actual manufacturer (marked on the bearing itself) is Timken, then they are taper rollers. The current bearings from MG Rover, which are the same as MG TF SHOULD be taper rollers, but worth asking the supplier...I have had some nasty surprises over the years!

        Comment


        • #5
          Two piece bearing kit, GHK1200, replaced by GHK1261 to vin 378220, then single piece ball bearing kit GHK1260 to vin 543487, then single piece taper roller kit GHK1366 ...dealers were allowed 2 1/2 hours to replace both front bearings.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
            Two piece bearing kit, GHK1200, replaced by GHK1261 to vin 378220, then single piece ball bearing kit GHK1260 to vin 543487, then single piece taper roller kit GHK1366 ...dealers were allowed 2 1/2 hours to replace both front bearings.
            Thanks a drillion, my VIN is in the 400.000 so the GHK1260 looks right.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Soulcharger View Post

              Thanks a drillion, my VIN is in the 400.000 so the GHK1260 looks right.
              GHK 1260 is the subject of the bulletin, they were prone to droning, so replaced by GHK 1366, which is a direct replacement..for light use there is probably no point in worrying about it too much, but if there is a choice, go for the taper roller. Also, if you are planning to stock up on bearings, I've got an RHP book somewhere that has instructions for long term storage of bearings, I seem to remember low humidity and moderate temperatures were mentioned and they recommended that the bearings should be stored flat and turned over every few months. I doubt that many of the nos ones will have been looked after in this way, but no harm in going by the book. SKF recommendations for their super precision bearings are here http://www.skf.com/uk/products/beari...age/index.html and they seem to have similar ideas. When fitting the front bearings I try to push extra (and fresh obviously) grease into them through the gap between the inner races, the rear bearings are easier to regrease, as they are open. SKF seem quite paranoid about long term storage, but I fitted some new old stock Ransome and Marles branded bearings to a 100hp conveyor drive in the late 1980s, I thought they must be fairly old and according to https://www.hoffmannbearings.co.uk/h...-bearings.html. I was right, they lasted as well as any of the others we used over the years...
              My guess would be that the front wheel bearings will be available for longer than the rear ones as they are fitted to various other cars, whereas the back ones are Maestro/Montego only as far as I know.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post

                GHK 1260 is the subject of the bulletin, they were prone to droning, so replaced by GHK 1366, which is a direct replacement..for light use there is probably no point in worrying about it too much, but if there is a choice, go for the taper roller. Also, if you are planning to stock up on bearings, I've got an RHP book somewhere that has instructions for long term storage of bearings, I seem to remember low humidity and moderate temperatures were mentioned and they recommended that the bearings should be stored flat and turned over every few months. I doubt that many of the nos ones will have been looked after in this way, but no harm in going by the book. SKF recommendations for their super precision bearings are here http://www.skf.com/uk/products/beari...age/index.html and they seem to have similar ideas. When fitting the front bearings I try to push extra (and fresh obviously) grease into them through the gap between the inner races, the rear bearings are easier to regrease, as they are open. SKF seem quite paranoid about long term storage, but I fitted some new old stock Ransome and Marles branded bearings to a 100hp conveyor drive in the late 1980s, I thought they must be fairly old and according to https://www.hoffmannbearings.co.uk/h...-bearings.html. I was right, they lasted as well as any of the others we used over the years...
                My guess would be that the front wheel bearings will be available for longer than the rear ones as they are fitted to various other cars, whereas the back ones are Maestro/Montego only as far as I know.
                When I check on Yo-Yo GHK1366 says only 1.3 & 1.6 models but I guess they'll fit a 2.0 EFi model.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Strange..It should also say it fits MGF, MG TF and Lotus Elise, as well as any later Maestro, Montego, I just bought one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-MGF-TF...R/182288435460 as a spare for mine, all of my single piece bearing ones are 2.0 diesel and epc, microfiche and that service bulletin are all saying it should be a taper roller that will fit. I'll see what make the bearing is when it arrives and let you know.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
                    Strange..It should also say it fits MGF, MG TF and Lotus Elise, as well as any later Maestro, Montego, I just bought one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-MGF-TF...R/182288435460 as a spare for mine, all of my single piece bearing ones are 2.0 diesel and epc, microfiche and that service bulletin are all saying it should be a taper roller that will fit. I'll see what make the bearing is when it arrives and let you know.
                    Please do that, I'm not in a mad hurry but would like to get some by around Feb. Visually they do look similar.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It is true the later bearings are the same as the MGF. No surprise really, the MGF was largely made up from the BL parts bin!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Bearing arrived today, not very surprinsing to see that it is unbranded at that price, so no real clues as to whether or not it is a taper roller, without dismantling it....if it had been free rather than cheap, then I might have taken it to bits, but as it is I think I'll wait until it is used and worn out. From the number on the inner race, it is Chinese http://www.gasgoo.com/showroom/tomze...s/1486021.html. I'm not too worried about this, as they do make some decent bearings as well as crappy ones and if I gamble and lose I'll just have wasted some of my own time, rather than paying to have it fitted. If you are paying someone to do the work, probably best to pay the extra for a genuine one. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RFM000050SLP though it has to be said that that picture looks very like their pattern one https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RFM000050SLPP and I can't see a makers name on either...not possible to see the number on them, but if it is IR2224 then they are also Chinese and the same as the cheap one on ebay....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hi, I have a question about the rear bearings. A few days ago I changed the bearings for new ones and continues to have slack. Could it be by the separators?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It is possible but unlikely..it could be wear on the hub, inside the brake drum?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Mine failed an MOT one year after new bearings were fitted. turned out one side had not been fitted / adjusted correctly. I would guess something has been fitted incorrectly or more likely the nut had not been correctly tightened / set.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X