Maestro 384

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro 384

well started the interior strip down of 384 today ready for it going off to body shop but having fun and games trying to get the console out I've undone the seat bolts taken the 2 rear screws out and the front screws out from under the little tray and it still won't come up over the gear stick and hand brake can anybody tell me the secret to not breaking it please

I seem to remember disconnecting the handbrake cable so that lever goes right up makes it a bit less of a pain..... If that fails, go underneath and undo the bolts on the gear lever support bracket so that lever drops down,..

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
      I seem to remember disconnecting the handbrake cable so that lever goes right up makes it a bit less of a pain..... If that fails, go underneath and undo the bolts on the gear lever support bracket so that lever drops down,..
      In addition to the Doctor's very valid suggestions, it may also help to remove the gear knob and have the gear lever with either 2nd or 4th selected. If the disconnection of the handbrake cable is not an option, you will need to get the handrake lever as high as you possibly can. Lift the console from the rear to try and clear the handbrake first then pull backwards at an angle of about 45 degrees should do it. Best of luck!
      Membership Secretary
      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

I've removed gear knob and with 2nd or 4th selected it still won't clear the handbrake so I'll get underneath and remove the handbrake thanks

Comment

Handbrake has to very high if you're not removing the dash and you may have to twist the centre consul a little to get it out. You should be able to unclip the cable underneath quite easily
          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
          2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
          2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
          2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Working...
          X