Steering columns and universal joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering columns and universal joints

As far as I am aware the inner steering columns are the same across all models and have the same diameter spline. The only difference being with the double U/J -The PAS one has a larger spline at the rack end to suit the larger diameter pinion in the PAS rack but both are the same length

This would mean anyone converting from non PAS rack to PAS rack would only need to change to the PAS U/J to have it all connected up

Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Cheers
    Ross

Yes but you will also need the blanking plate changed where the rack comes into the footwell as its different for PAS
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Seconded! I converted my 1.6 non-PAS Maestro to PAS and all I needed for the column was the lower (double UJ) shaft and the blanking plate.

I will be swapping back soon as I've had enough of leaky/noisy/juddery PAS racks and will be taking the e-PAS option.
      M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
      Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation

Simon - what epas are you going for?

Comment

Easysteer!
          M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
          Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
            Easysteer!
            So Corsa EPAS then? They seem to have just renamed vauxhall columns to sell on as their own ...
            Last edited by g200mss #146; 8th February 2018, 21:02.

Comment

Originally posted by g200mss #146 View Post
              As far as I am aware the inner steering columns are the same across all models and have the same diameter spline. The only difference being with the double U/J -The PAS one has a larger spline at the rack end to suit the larger diameter pinion in the PAS rack but both are the same length

This would mean anyone converting from non PAS rack to PAS rack would only need to change to the PAS U/J to have it all connected up

Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Cheers
              Ross
              I've been looking at changing my PAS to a manual system, I do much work in traffic with 10000s of left and right turns. Looking at the Austin Rover parts catalogue there's only one spline and intermediate steering shaft is for the PAS NAM6740 for RHD and NAM6738 for manual steering, yes only need to change this piece.

Comment

Rimmers have a clearance sale just started, got a catalogue in today's post; anyway, they list a 'steering shaft - lower for Maestro / Montego to 1991' as NAM6739. Is that in EPC?
                Only 12 quid!
                midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

Working...
                X