Power Steering on a 1984 1300L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering on a 1984 1300L

Hi, Firstly I apologise if this question has already been asked but I have looked through the various forums and can't find any discussion threads.
    My father in law who owns the car wants to add power steering to it to make it easier for him to drive as he is now 93!.
    I have tried researching this on the net but cant find any comments either positive or negative that are helpful.
    so here is what we need to know....

1. Is it possible?
    2. Has anybody done it or had it done for them?
    3. Has anybody tried to do it and found that it is just not possible(I saw a post which mentioned a problem with incompatibility with electrics)?
    4. If it can be done does anyone have any idea of the cost?

Also any other comments which you think might help us with this little problem!!

Thanks

Delboy70

I am sure you are aware, it was never an option on the 1.3 engine. There used to be companies that retrofitted PAS to cars, the Metro in particular. I don't know if any are still going. All i can suggest is a Google around to see if there are still any out there. Obviously the demand for such work has reduced as the years go by and all new cars have it. The probably are people out there to service the classic car world.

Comment

I think the 1600 pas rack (there are gear linkeage brackets on the 1300/1600 rack, but not on 2.0 unless you weld your own on.) would fit and any decent engineering firm or old fashioned garage could make up a bracket to fit a scrap yard or new pump to engine...decent is usually not cheap though...I think there are firms retrofitting electric power steering too...my preference would be the power rack, but both should work ok.. whereabouts are you...may be someone with local info on here.
      Another cheap option to make steering a bit lighter is to fit the narrowest tyres specified for your rims, make sure they are inflated correctly and get a (decent) tyre shop or garage to set the tracking to exactly zero toe, rather than just within limits.. wont make a massive difference, but will make some difference..

Comment

An Easysteer electric PAS conversion could be useful here. This will use the existing manual rack and will be easiest to do.

1.6 PAS racks (with the gearchange relay bracket for the VW box fitted to 1.3/1.6 cars) are very scarce these days and can suffer from knock, judder, wheeze and leak. You need other parts to fit the PAS rack which are also hard to obtain.

Details at: http://simonebirchall.co.uk/index.html
        Last edited by Simon; 21st June 2018, 09:46.
        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Working...
        X