Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Questions - fuel pump & glove box door

2 Questions.
    1. I changed the electric fuel pump on my 2.0 EFi, the car had stood still for about 10 years and the advice was change it. Bought a replacement in Germany, fitted it, works a treat, starts quicker and has better fuel consumption BUT it's darn noisy. I'd read about this and one of the solutions was to change the resistor which we did but didn't make much difference - just live with it ?

2. Glove box lid is a tad warped I fear and I can't seem to get it to stay closed, have giggled with adjusting screws on opening hinge, works for about 100 miles then falls open again. Frequent complaint ? Anybody had this and fixed it ?

Thanks, this is also on the M & M FB page.
    Chris L

If it's warped buy another , there are some out there. Fuel pump should not be noisy so it maybe packing up
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
      If it's warped buy another , there are some out there. Fuel pump should not be noisy so it maybe packing up
      HI, fuel pump is a new one, it works better then the old one, but it does whine all the time. I had heard about pumps whining and was lead to believe changing resistor would fix it but it hasn't.

As for the glove box lid I'll be giving it another go week after next and if I still can't get it to stay closed I will change it.

Thanks for inpu.

Chris

Comment

HI
        Going way back to the early years there was a service bulletin for the fuel pump noise. The Lucas pump used at the time had one large spade connector and one small. If the factory had fitted the pump in any position other than the large spade uppermost the fix was to twist the pump in its foam mounting until it was large spade uppermost. In this position the pump ran the quietest. I think if the pump is much louder than the original pump it is more likely to be a manufacturing tolerance / quality control issue?
        Regards, Gary

Comment

Originally posted by G Force View Post
          HI
          Going way back to the early years there was a service bulletin for the fuel pump noise. The Lucas pump used at the time had one large spade connector and one small. If the factory had fitted the pump in any position other than the large spade uppermost the fix was to twist the pump in its foam mounting until it was large spade uppermost. In this position the pump ran the quietest. I think if the pump is much louder than the original pump it is more likely to be a manufacturing tolerance / quality control issue?
          Regards, Gary
          Thanks Gary, we'll take a look, have to say engine starts quicker and fuel consumption is good.

Comment

The knowledge on here is quite remarkable sometimes :-)
            Is the resistor present on all but the Turbo cars? ie it reduces voltage to the pump and therefore reduces the speed and pressure. So, I would have thought that it would run quieter with the resistor? Just a thought.

Ian
            Ian Drew
            MG Maestro Turbo '400'
            MG ZT V8
            Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Originally posted by ian drew View Post
              The knowledge on here is quite remarkable sometimes :-)
              Is the resistor present on all but the Turbo cars? ie it reduces voltage to the pump and therefore reduces the speed and pressure. So, I would have thought that it would run quieter with the resistor? Just a thought.

Ian
              Well, that does make sense, my Nephew tell me that nowadays pumps are very well sound insulated or placed where you'd not hear them. The plot continues !

Comment

Working...
              X