Maestro Turbo Oil Pressure Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro Turbo Oil Pressure Switch

Can some please point me in the right direction for a supplier for the correct type of normally open oil pressure switch used on Turbo's. Mine has decided to leak through the body, not round the threads, so its not a case of just tightening it up a little more!
    Last edited by Sussex Pete; 5th October 2018, 07:32.
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Good luck. I ordered a few this year which I thought and was told where the correct ones but weren't. John very kindly send me out a used one which is working spot on (for the few miles I have used it this year ha) If you find one that does actually work could you post up here please as I would like a spare I can trust to work. Cheers Andy

http://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/t...-maestro-turbo
    MG Maestro Turbo #500
    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
    Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Hopefully for final clarification, the oil pressure switch for use on the Maestro and Montego Turbo engines is Intermotor 50670 or Unipart GPS134 (which supercedes GPS129).

Looks like I was a bit lucky with my 'bay purchases yesterday, as I had selected a GPS192 part, but the seller confirmed this morning that he can't find them and so has returned my payment. As it turns out to have been the wrong one, I'm not that fussed!
      Membership Secretary

Comment

Pete, googling that Intermotor reference finds several on ebay from a fiver upwards....
        midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

There is a way around this, if it ever becomes an insoluble problem. Get a standard 12v changeover relay, connect one side of the coil to an ignition feed, the other side to the oil pressure switch. Connect the common to earth and the oil pressure switch to the normally closed contact. Ignition on, no oil pressure with a normal nc switch, coil is energised, and wire that used to go to switch is not connected to earth, when oil pressure switch opens, relay is de-energised and wire is earthed via the nc contacts. With this modification you can use any sort of switch, if you get the correct switch, just move wire from nc side, to no side, or reattach it to the switch. Not as good as the correct switch, but it saves any hassle with incorrect switches.

Comment

Read the last part of Andys thread. Wilcox had 12 in stock at the time and I also put the correct part number on it as your part numbers are not correct pete. GPS136 is the correct part number so I don't know where you're getting those from. Buy from wilcox , not ebay and you'll get the correct part. Btw I've also told you the part number before when you asked so also refer to that thread when the car had crank sensor problems.
            Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 4th October 2018, 19:42.
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
            2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
            2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
              Read the last part of Andys thread. Wilcox had 12 in stock at the time and I also put the correct part number on it as your part numbers are not correct pete. GPS136 is the correct part number so I don't know where you're getting those from. Buy from wilcox , not ebay and you'll get the correct part. Btw I've also told you the part number before when you asked so also refer to that thread when the car had crank sensor problems.
              Jeff, I got the part numbers from the EPC using the Metro as the source, as the Montego information for the turbo, I think, is suspect. Looking at that again, GPS136 is shown as being for 2.0 carb engines with A/C on the Montego and is a supercession of GPS134. On the Maestro there is a supersession from GPS 132, to GPS134 and GPS 136 for 1600's with electric fuel pumps. On the Metro turbo which uses the same N/O switch the parts numbers are GPS129-132-134. On that basis I could assume that as 134 is superceded by 136 then either is OK. Just bothered about the engine specs that they were recorded against for Montys and Maestros.
              Membership Secretary

Comment

As per one of your old threads pete
                1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                  As per one of your old threads pete
                  Damn! I did a search for any previous threads and didn't find that one, hence my new question.

Also new O/P switch (intermotor one) arrived today. Did test before fitting and its a normally closed one, even though advertised as for MG Metro Turbo, so its going back. Just about to phone Wilcox as you suggested.
                  Membership Secretary

Comment

I seem to remember the epc and microfiche containing a variety of misinformation on turbo oil pressure switches...

Comment

Pete, if you go get one and it's the correct one could you let me know exactly what you ordered as I think having a spare wouldn't be a bad idea!
                      Cheers,
                      Ian
                      Ian Drew
                      MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                      MG ZT V8
                      Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Originally posted by ian drew View Post
                        Pete, if you go get one and it's the correct one could you let me know exactly what you ordered as I think having a spare wouldn't be a bad idea!
                        Cheers,
                        Ian
                        I eventually got one from Wilcox, as per Jeff's prompting. The Intermotor one from ebay turned out to be the wrong one as well, so got returned as an incorrect description. If you can bear with me until next weekend as that will be the first time I shall be starting the engine again after fitting. Car is currently garaged and under wraps while I try and make some progress on my daughters Mini, my Allegro Equipe and an engine rebuilt for a mates Cavalier track car!
                        Membership Secretary

Comment

Quite a collection of cars!
                          Do Wilcox have an on-line method of checking stock or is it just a case pf phoning them up with a part number each time?
                          Cheers,
                          Ian
                          Ian Drew
                          MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                          MG ZT V8
                          Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

You just need to phone them Ian. John Wilcox in spares is a very friendly and knowledgeable guy.
                            Membership Secretary

Comment

Working...
                            X