Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake fluid distirbutor thingy

Hi all.
    I managed a good few hours on my Maestro this weekend and continued to clear the engine bay for respraying. I got as far as removing the thing that basically has the job of supplying all 4 brakes from the servo. It has brake pipes entering it and bolts in to the engine bay on the passenger side. Typically all but 1 pipe has come undone. The question I have is it safe to apply heat to this item in order to shift the remaining pipe? I have n idea exactly what is inside this box, it appears more than just a junction box and looks like it may be in 2 parts with a gasket in between and therefore shouldn't be heated?

Cheers,
    Ian D
    Ian Drew
    MG Maestro Turbo '400'
    MG ZT V8
    Rover 75 V6 Estate

Master cylinder
    Sure & steadfast.
    BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
    1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
    1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

I think it is the device for reducing pressure to the rear brakes, I've never dismantled one, but would guess that you are right about it not being heat resistant. If you can get at the last pipe easily, might be an idea to cut pipe off and hammer a socket onto the nut? Or if that fails, weld a nut onto the pipe nut, which would heat it but without heating the rest of the housing too much...

Comment

Looking at my Maestro workshop manual they call it a "Twin GP Valve" The GP relates to the two gravity/pressure valves inside the valve body.

Each valve serves two functions:

*To distribute brake fluid to the front and rear
        *To limit the brake fluid pressure to the rear wheel cylinders under heavy braking

Comment

Superstars, cheers.
          I think I'll have to try DoctorDiesels approach. I was tempted to replace all brake pipes, looks like I will be!

Ian
          Ian Drew
          MG Maestro Turbo '400'
          MG ZT V8
          Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Originally posted by ian drew View Post
            Superstars, cheers.
            I think I'll have to try DoctorDiesels approach. I was tempted to replace all brake pipes, looks like I will be!

Ian
            If you break it Ian, I have a spare or two in my stash you can have, As John says, cut the pipe off and put a socket on the nut. As your replacing the pipes anyway it doesn't matter
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
            2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

I took one of mine and its held on too body with 2 long bolts.one was a nightmare to come out then snapped maybe spray wd40 first it this helps

Comment

Prepared myself on Sunday to cut the pipe and hammer the socket on, one last attempt with the mole grips and it came out. Phew! Appears it may have originally been gold in colour.
                I'm assuming I know the answer, but do you think they would withstand the temperature of powder coating (approx 180 degrees)? As I've never heard of these devices failing I wonder whether they only contain metal parts and no rubber?
                Thanks in advance!
                Ian
                Ian Drew
                MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                MG ZT V8
                Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Originally posted by ian drew View Post
                  Prepared myself on Sunday to cut the pipe and hammer the socket on, one last attempt with the mole grips and it came out. Phew! Appears it may have originally been gold in colour.
                  I'm assuming I know the answer, but do you think they would withstand the temperature of powder coating (approx 180 degrees)? As I've never heard of these devices failing I wonder whether they only contain metal parts and no rubber?
                  Thanks in advance!
                  Ian
                  I wouldn't powder coat one personally, mask up and paint in light gold, same colour as the power steering pully as that was the original colour

Comment

I think the unit was yellow passivated sorry about spelling.it says do not dismantle

Comment

Cheers. I'll simply spray it. Power Steering pulley was the same colour!? I've only ever seen them Austin "rusty silver".
                      Ian Drew
                      MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                      MG ZT V8
                      Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

This colour

Comment

See , gold

Comment

Working...
                          X