Front Shock Absorber bolt size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Shock Absorber bolt size

I am currently bringing a 1985 1.3 Maestro back to life and have dismantled the front brakes and removed the front struts. The car hasn't really moved for the best part of 12 years so most of this lot has rusted significantly and I am replacing as much of it as possible with new. Needless to say when removing the bolts that secure the shock absorbers to the swivel hubs one of the four snapped. Any numbers on the bolt heads have long disappeared to rust so I don't know what to replace them with. Does anyone know what spec they are or if new ones are available? It is possible that the 1995-2002 VW Polo has the same size fixings but I am not 100% sure.

Nick

The two bolts that attach are ADU3085 Wilcox have 10 in stock, the nuts are GHF215 and Damen & Kroes have 126 in stock. I would buy 4 bolts from John Wilcox and then try to find nuts that fit the thread Nick
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 5th March 2019, 15:20.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

thanks Jeff. I've ordered some M10 and M12 to the right length which should arrive tomorrow. If neither work then I will be following your suggestion exactly, and it is good to have the part number.

Nick

Comment

nuts are m12, I'd be tempted to get bolts from AE Wilcox, they may be higher spec than ordinary household industrial ones,

Comment

Fair point. I had a look on Rimmers at the part numbers that Jeff gave and both are in stock. I ordered four nuts and four bolts all for about the price of a pint of beer. Make that a round of three beers by the time you add on their P&P

Comment

It sounded good until you got to the postage! On the plus side it will be right when it is done and I guess the markings on new bolt head should be legible, so you'll be able to check the specification for next time.....

Comment

Originally posted by Nick RS View Post
              Fair point. I had a look on Rimmers at the part numbers that Jeff gave and both are in stock. I ordered four nuts and four bolts all for about the price of a pint of beer. Make that a round of three beers by the time you add on their P&P
              Should have said, I live round the corner from Rimmers and would have picked them up for you and posted on

Comment

That's kind of you Jeff, they so seem to charge a lot for P&P don't they. I had a large order with them earlier in the year, bits of the Maestro as well as my Rover so decided to make a very long detour on the way up to Yorkshire and called in. I also managed a lifetime first that day and crossed the Humber Bridge. I know it's been there for something like 40 years or more but it is very impressive.

Comment

Been over the Humber bridge many times, you can visit it btw on an open day

Comment

Working...
                  X