Diesel Lift Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Lift Pump

Hello I this is my first try here but I am a long time member, I have just bought a new Diesel Lift Pump from Rimmer Brothers, it seems to take enormous pressure to move the operating arm does anybody know if this is normal, I am afraid it might damage the camshaft. Any help on this would be appreciated.
    Tom Hart

They are usully quite hard to press, if you can do it by hand, probably about right. how does it compare to the old one?

Comment

Hi Doctor Diesel thanks for your help, I couldn't shift it by hand myself but then I am getting on a bit/lot, a friend that came here today managed make it work but I wonder how hard was it to work the original Austin/Rover one?

Comment

Oh I forgot to say the original spring was weaker but it had been on the car for at least 18 years to my knowledge,

Comment

They are usually fairly stiff, but hard to say how stiff too stiff is without actually trying it, I know that you soon get tired of working them by hand, my guess would be that it is probably alright, once they are installed the spring is fighting th fuel pressure, so load is reduced a bit..

Comment

Thank you so much Doctor Diesel, I am convinced that the pump is OK now, it certainly looks the business and sounded well when my friend worked it.
            Cheers from Tom 2 sheds.

Comment

Working...
            X