Clutch cable query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch cable query

Just wondering if there are differences between clutch cable lengths between Maestro & Montegos and between EFi and Turbo models. The EPC shows that for Efi's its the same part number for both. Reason for query is that I purchased a new clutch cable for #436 (First Line FKC1222) that is supposedly a replacement for the cable for a turbo (GVC5025), but my clutch engament is very low on the travel and there is no adjustment left on the cable mechanism. Thinking that a shorter cable would adjust more, and so bring the free play more in line with where it should be.
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Is the rubber doofer in the right place at the gearbox end? I've seen them in the wrong place / missing before... Is the adjustment right on the end? The adjustment available is about the same on the different cables, unless firstline have mixed their inners and outers up between two different cables..

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
      Is the rubber doofer in the right place at the gearbox end? I've seen them in the wrong place / missing before... Is the adjustment right on the end? The adjustment available is about the same on the different cables, unless firstline have mixed their inners and outers up between two different cables..
      Yeah, the rubber doofer is in the correct place and the adjustment is right on the end.
      Membership Secretary
      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

standard clutch? If not, could there be differences inside the bellhousing, causing the arm to be in a non standard place? I'd be tempted to either try to find a genuine cable to compare, or just make a 1/2" slotted packing piece to go under the rubber to take some more slack up, once the clutch is bedded in it should end up nearer to being right I'd guess.

Comment

Working...
        X