Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro Turbo

Hi Guys.
    Had my Maestro Turbo for a couple of months. It has not been without its problems from day 1.
    Starting problems, dying while running to name but a few.
    The starting problems were the main cause of distress. the car took at least 5 mins to start and only then spluttered into life. Plus when started, got up the road and car died in the middle of a main road. Had to call RAC with car stuck in the middle of a main street. When RAC arrived an hour later, car started fine and drove ok, they followed me home.
    Got the car over to Roberts MG in Windsor for them to look at the car. The reason the car would not run was the ARV. They blanked this off which solved this fault.
    However, the car would still not start when cold, although the auto-choke seemed to be working OK
    Roberts MG removed the choke mechanism after first drilling out the anti-tamper bolts. They found that the extra fuel valve inside the choke had siezed and was not supplying extra fuel for starting.
    They performed some absolute magic on this mechanism (photos available if required) with drilling and re-forming.
    The car now starts and runs like a dream.
    Matt at Roberts MG is brilliant, but would also like to thank Pete Cooper from the Club for coming all the way up to Windsor and offering his much appreciated help and advice. Thanks Pete.
    The car has now had the wheels returned to their original silver ,the previous owner had then sprayed black, not my scene, and is now ready for the shows this summer.
    Tom
    MG Maestro Turbo

Glad you have got it sorted. They can be temperamental. Was it the tidy brg one for sale a few months back you bought? That had black wheels.
    MG Maestro Turbo #500
    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
    Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

It's good to see another person happy with their Turbo. I hope that the pain was worth it, which I'm sure it was!
      Ian
      Ian Drew
      MG Maestro Turbo '400'
      MG ZT V8
      Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Yes Andy, it was the one with the black wheels. Had to go all the way up north to get it. Let my heart rule my head when buying it, and took a serious chance buying it as i had to drive it home 210 miles. Although it got me home (phew), it conked out the next day and spent the next month in an MG garage, plus quite a bit of dosh.
        Am pleased to say that the car is now running superbly, many thanks to Roberts MG of Windsor, but bad news to my bank account. Hey Ho..
        Now have a car that has been fully serviced, MOT,d, new cam belt just in case as apparently tensioner was not good, and now starts on the button. Roberts MG were brilliant and i would recommend them to anyone.
        Now got a potential show winner and although still feeling a bit miffed about the problems it had, but have a show this Sunday and i know the MG will be well accepted.
        Still have a few nigly problems to sort out. Central locking not working fully on all doors, and Electric Mirrors only working intermittently, but these are minor issues that will be addressed sooner rather than later

Comment

Not over happy at the moment.
          Took the Maestro Turbo to its first proper event last Sunday. Some lovely person damaged the drivers door and passenger door with what i can only assume was a pushchair, or something like. It has gone down to the metal on the passenger door and scratches and dink on the drivers door. Thank you to the lovely person that did this and never owned up.
          got some quotes from chips companies and they both reckoned that the panels would have to be fully resprayed. Not convinced, so took the car back to Roberts MG, who did all the mechanical work recently. When Matt saw the damage he says he can fix it no problem without having to respray 2 panels. Brilliant.
          Would like to have caught the people that damaged my car. Why go to a show, damage someones car, and then not have the balls to own up.
          Hey Ho.
          Next show, going to cover the car with Bubble Wrap.

Comment

Unfortunately I think that's called sods law, the shiniest car getting scratched. Fingers cressed it'll get fixed for a reasonable cost.
            Ian Drew
            MG Maestro Turbo '400'
            MG ZT V8
            Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Thanks for the words of comfort Ian.
              Its just so damn annoying.
              Of all the classic cars i have owned, and the current ones i have, never had any damage in the past.
              The 3 months of Maestro Turbo ownership have been a rocky ride and there was times when i nearly gave in, but i love this car, and although i wont let it bankrupt me,absolutely love this car, alongside my Nissan Skyline R34. Got a couple of events planned for this summer where i will be taking the Skyline and the missus will be driving the Maestro.
              Be interesting to see which car gets the most attention. Think it will be the MG :-)

Comment

Have now had those horrible black wheels put back to their original silver, looks so much better. Just need to get the dinks in the body sorted.

Comment

Took the Maestro Turbo to an event last Sunday.
                  OMG, what an event. People there were all over the Maestro. They wanted to sit in it, took loads of pics, and i spent most of the event talking to people about the car. It got so much attention it was un-believable. The organiser of the event, who i have known for many years, reserved a space for me, when he heard about the car.
                  Some friends of mine were there in their classic and they said to me "All we have heard up and down the event is, have you seen that Maestro Turbo".
                  What more can i say, despite the damage to 2 of the doors.. I had a couple of offers for the car whilst there, but, sorry lads, no chance.
                  This car is amazing and has got more recognition than my Skyline.
                  MG now not going in for the body repairs for the next 2 weeks, due to Roberts MG being excessivley busy, but not a problem.
                  Bring it on Maestro Turbo.

Comment

Working...
                  X