Oil appearing on underside of 'O' engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil appearing on underside of 'O' engine

Oil is now appearing on underside of my 2.0 EFI engine, it used to be bone dry. Mechanic made remark (we've not really investigated leak yet) could be crankshaft seal(s). Are 'O' engines known for seals going ? Mine has done 84.000 miles.

Depends where it's leaking from. Could be a number of places, put on axle stands, clean it up and run it until you see the leak
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
      Depends where it's leaking from. Could be a number of places, put on axle stands, clean it up and run it until you see the leak
      That's what we'll do. I was asking if there was a common well known weak point that could save some time and effort.

Comment

The only oil leak mentioned in the service bulletins was the one from the cylinder head, which you'd see from above. As Jeff says, the only way to be sure is to have a look underneath, it may be that the crank seals have hardened over the years, or it could be something that is much easier to fix, like the oil pressure sensor, they have been known to start to weep out of the crimped end. The oil pressure relief valve is sealed with an o ring and held in with a split pin, not unknown for them to start weeping, also an easy fix. Don't think it will apply to your car, but I once saw a leak from a rusty hole in the oil filter ha ha ha! There are one or two breather pipes in there too if I remember rightly. Only other suspect would be the sump or its gasket, but don't think that is too likely... If it turns out to be the flywheel end crank seal, you might want to try to live with it for a while, if it is not too bad as changing it is gearbox/clutch/flywheel out job and it is unlikely to cause any major disaster....if on the other hand it is the timing belt end, sooner rather than later, if it gets onto the belt it could be bad!

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcharger View Post

That's what we'll do. I was asking if there was a common well known weak point that could save some time and effort.
          Just because there maybe a weakness in something doesn't mean its failed, you will have to look anyway to confirm any leak. As for someone putting up on the facebook page about possible core plugs, you can discount that and that's water/coolant not oil as you will already know.
          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
          2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
          2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Mine appears to be leaking from rocker cover gasket but as ive just bought the car i havent had time to dig into it yet...so ny detail about top leak i wouldnt mind knowing dr diesel
            Silver MG Maestro - C555, needs some anti rust love

Comment

Originally posted by neallew View Post
              Mine appears to be leaking from rocker cover gasket but as ive just bought the car i havent had time to dig into it yet...so ny detail about top leak i wouldnt mind knowing dr diesel
              the 2.0 top end leak was from the cylinder head gasket, the 1.6 did the same trick, but it was more famous for cam cover leakage...is yours 2.0?
              just looked at your other post and saw that it is a 2.0, if leak isfrom the cam cover rather than the head gasket, then worth checking that bolts are tight, it hasn't got a gasket, just smear of rtv, I bought a diesel that was leaking from cam cover and it turned out that someone had fitted a very short bolt...it was glued in with rtv, putting the right bolt in and tightening it fixed the leak...
              Last edited by Doctordiesel77; 16th May 2019, 22:26.

Comment

Check out the rubber pipes to the oil breather/ filter thing at the back of the engine. Mine had the same type of leak and it turned out the pipes had gone porous. I can't be more exact as I chickened out of doing the job myself due to access difficulties!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Jarvis View Post
                  Check out the rubber pipes to the oil breather/ filter thing at the back of the engine. Mine had the same type of leak and it turned out the pipes had gone porous. I can't be more exact as I chickened out of doing the job myself due to access difficulties!
                  Thanks I think you're right, I'll be looking for some new ones to replace them.

Comment

Working...
                  X