Perkins fuel filter install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perkins fuel filter install

Anyone know the correct procedure for fitting a fuel filter to a Maestro TD before I take it to the garage to be done. I've fitted them to other vehicles but want to know the bleeding process that needs to be undertaken?

Thanks in advance

1989 MG Maestro Turbo no.399

1994 Maestro Clubman Turbo Diesel

Unscrew old filter, if you are careful the fuel won't spill out , so no need to fiddle about draining it. Screw new filter on (fill it with diesel first if you want to spend less time bleeding it) loosen bleed screw on top of filter head, operate white priming button on lift pump until fuel comes out of bleed screw, tighten bleedscrew, job done. No need to be too picky with it, as there is a vapour separator on L.H. inner wing which will deal with any remaining air. If bleed screw is stuck/you can't find a 10mm spanner, just operating the priming button will pump air back to the tank via the return from vapour separator, but you'll hav to guess whén the air iß gone. If the priming button doesn't work, it is likely that lift pump is 'on the cam' so just give engine a quick flick on the starter.

Comment

Really grateful for your reply. I changed the filter. The engine lost power recently while driving so I kept revs up until I got home. Now it won't restart and turns over quite fast. I hope it's not the timing belt. I gave it the garage to change and they sent me home with it again!

John

Comment

Update: checked the cambelt and it's fine. It goes on the starter in gear without firing up. Also looked under the cover on the left of the engine. Obviously a new problem caused by installing the filter.. .

Comment

bleed the whole system, make sure the tap on the bottom of the filter is closed and the lift pump is working.

Comment

Presumably the lift pump was pumping diesel out when you changed the filter? If it was, then loosen an injector pipe and turn engine over on starter, there should be diesel squirting out behind the loosened nut. If not, check that there is power to the cut off solenoid on the pump when ignition is on, it is the white wire nearest to the injector pipes.

Comment

All working again. I installed a Bosch 1457434329 filter that is unsurprisingly not listed for Austin Rover vehicles but which cross referenced the rusty old Mann Filter wk842/2.

After connecting thick jump leads and a freshly recharged battery it fired into life after 10 seconds.

Comment

I have changed the filter several times on my 1994 countryman 2.0 TD and having filled the new filter before screwing it on I just started the engine by turning the key , never had to do any bleeding...

Comment

I'm suspecting the lift pump is messing about at the moment as I have just done a long drive to Burton On Trent. Had the same symptoms coming back where it tried to stall at low revs so kept knocking into neutral at junctions and revved the engine, right foot braking. It is fine here at home but never sure when the problem will crop up again!

Comment

i have had the primer fail on a couple of pumps when bleeding. and a leaking diaphragm, but nothing that would stop the engine once running.

Comment

was the new filter properly packaged so no dirt could get in?

Comment

Might be worth checking the strainer in th lift pump, just one screw holds the top cover on, strainer is underneath it. If th screw is loose or overtightened it can draw air in there too.

Comment

Well, I used a filter wrench and tightened the filter up and the symptoms haven't re-occurred.

Comment

Working...
                          X