No announcement yet.

The New MG 2.0 wont start..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was and had not found the linked group - so thanks for that - have asked to join it.. Luke has suggested I T off a pipe into return and leave original connected as well in case fresh petrol unblocks it. Hoping pickup is ok - the little filter has come off prior to sealing tank no idea how to get it back on without cutting hole in top of yank and putting a sealing plate back but might as well have a new tank made than goto that trouble.
    Is it worth me double checking before putting tank back on running pump and return from temporary containers to check all works well before i reconnect properly ?
    Silver MG Maestro - C555, needs some anti rust love

Comment

For the time it will take, I would check it before putting it back together. Best place for the gauze strainer is the bin I'd say and fit an inline filter between tank and pump, at least you'll be able to clean it easily, the one in the tank always seemed a bit pointless, if it blocks up there is not much you can do about it.. I just had a look, the facebook group your post was in was one started by an amateur car dealer in wales, quite cleverly named, his is Maestro and Montego etc etc, where the genuine club group is Maestro & Montego.... so his comes up first in a search, as they go alphabetically. Quite annoying that there are so many different groups really, as you end up joining loads of them, just in case you want o take a look at something on. Thank goodness there is only one forum!

Comment

I'm only on one Facebook page for the Montego etc and this forum which I prefer
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
          I'm only on one Facebook page for the Montego etc and this forum which I prefer
          You are wise! I still can't see why anyone would start another group...be more groups than cars if the madness continues, it just makes it harder for anyone that is new to the facebook side of things to find the club group, which is where the gurus hang out when they are not on this forum......so I'm told anyway....

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post

You are wise! I still can't see why anyone would start another group...be more groups than cars if the madness continues, it just makes it harder for anyone that is new to the facebook side of things to find the club group, which is where the gurus hang out when they are not on this forum......so I'm told anyway....
            I have been asked to join many of the other groups but can't see the point as it takes away from the original. And stop it with the guru thing. Shelley started that

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

I have been asked to join many of the other groups but can't see the point as it takes away from the original. And stop it with the guru thing. Shelley started that
              I agree, it just spreads a thin layer even more thinly, on the odd occasion when I've looked at some of the other groups I've noticed the odd bit of bizarre advice/misinformation being dished out.. The annoying thing is that the last one that started will appear first in a search, because its title has 'and' written rather than '&' not sure if this is deliberate or not, but does seem to be the work of a rabid self publicist. He kept advertising that he wanted to buy various Maestros/Montegos, but was selling some of the same models on ebay at the same time...could all be just coincidence of course... I'd say the club one was best for advice, by a massive margin, quite possible that a wrong answer might get posted, but there are plenty of people on there that would correct it, whereas on some of the other sites they might not..

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
                I agree, it just spreads a thin layer even more thinly, on the odd occasion when I've looked at some of the other groups I've noticed the odd bit of bizarre advice/misinformation being dished out.. The annoying thing is that the last one that started will appear first in a search, because its title has 'and' written rather than '&' not sure if this is deliberate or not, but does seem to be the work of a rabid self publicist. He kept advertising that he wanted to buy various Maestros/Montegos, but was selling some of the same models on ebay at the same time...could all be just coincidence of course... I'd say the club one was best for advice, by a massive margin, quite possible that a wrong answer might get posted, but there are plenty of people on there that would correct it, whereas on some of the other sites they might not..
                There are plenty of 'it happened to my car so it must be that' on there. And plenty of miss info as you say

Comment

yeah he is a bit of a car flipper but when i did original search his was only one i could find.. sorted now at least. Tank sealing failed so looks like i will have to get one made unless someone has or knows of a good one. any "new" sources?

Comment

I think the supply of new ones has dried up now, if you can find a decent diesel one it should do the job, other option is cutting the top off and repairing it from within. depends how confident you ar that you can get rid of fuel vapour. Safest way is fill it with water, then cut the top off with a 1mm blade in a battery grinder. Once it is open it is safe to operate on. If you are not happy doing this yourself, a custom made new one may be cheaper than paying someone else to fix yours. May be worth putting a wanted post on here, in case someone has a spare. I found new one for my van, it was cheaper than a custom made one, but not cheap....

Comment

Originally posted by neallew View Post
                      yeah he is a bit of a car flipper but when i did original search his was only one i could find.. sorted now at least. Tank sealing failed so looks like i will have to get one made unless someone has or knows of a good one. any "new" sources?
                      There is a 1.6 petrol tank on ebay atm, but these do not have the return pipe. If its any good you should be able to adapt it to accept the return

Comment

You can get new 1.6 petrol tanks from these, not cheap though

Comment

i dont know what i do wrong with that xpart site but i can never get reults from it - nearest dealer or parts. tried several times this year no joy

Comment

i dont know what i do wrong with that xpart site but i can never get reults from it - nearest dealer or parts. tried several times this year no joy
                            This is where the tanks Jeff mentioned are https://www.damenenkroes.nl/ they will post to UK, but can end up expensive, last price I got from them was £500 for the last known new diesel tank. Someone else bought that one ha ha ha. May be worth asking them for a price though, the 1600 ones could be cheaper.

Comment

You need the part number to make it search properly. The website is www.mgroverpartfinder.co.uk The 1.6 tank is CRC9291

Comment

Thanks very much - I cant even find that page via their website - went to a dealer today (xpart supplier) he was as much use as a chocolate teapot. Glad to say this is one of the very few useful car forums i have come across and so far Metro Maestro and MGb guys are all great and very helpful...

Comment

Working...
                                X