The New MG 2.0 wont start..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New MG 2.0 wont start..

Hi All, Ok drove it down from north wales- apart from slight splutter now and then all ok... following day drove it 30 miles to get some advice on bodywork on parking up was very low on fuel... 2 weeks later ive tried to restart it it coughed into life then died within a couple of seconds.... Now i've added 4.5 litres of fuel as i suspect it may have been empty/run out as i parked it. Car turns over well - thou now need to recharge the battery... Is there anything i need to look out for specifically? I'll need to check i have spark (have new leads plugs (look new on outside) rotor arm and dissie cap ) also have new fuel filter oil air and new oil as intended to do a full service as soon as i had time. There is no reprime fuel procedure or special start up is there? i've quickly checked plug leads and coil connections but not yet had time to dig int it just hoping its something simple as it ran fine 2 weeks ago and started within 2 seconds no problem....
    Silver MG Maestro - C555, needs some anti rust love

well i have spark fitted laser spark plug checkers all ok there.. so any trick with fuel or something else i need to check?

Comment

Rover don't have much to say about restart after running out, can you hear the pump running for a few seconds when you turn ignition on?

Comment

I owned this car for a while. It wouldn't start if the tank was low. You probably need to add at least another 5 litres. I don't know the reason. A new fuel pump was fitted by another owner about 6 months ago. Hope that helps.

Comment

My hearing is rubbish these days - so cant say ive heard the pump will try adding a bit more- Is the pump at the rear axle like the montego manual says for its efi? Thanks for the info Kobe as i've had no maintenance history for the car.

Comment

I think it will fire up if you add more fuel. The pump is near the rear axle. Hope it works out ok.

Comment

ok tried some more fuel - no go - some easy start and it turns over and dies... so my guess is no fuel... i can hear a squirt when i turn ignition off - fuel return to tank? cant hear pump will locate pump then get someone to try starting car - or try fuel filter change then....

Comment

There may be a problem with one of the two fuel pump relays mounted on the passenger's side inner wing: One of them energises the pump to get the car started, the other takes over once the engine is running.
                1983 (Y) MG 1600
                1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                1990 Clubman D
                1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

When these cars run out of petrol they end up sucking loads of crap up from the bottom of the tank and then blockages can occur. That along with the fact that it didn't like being low on fuel before won't help. I wonder what state the fuel pickup is in inside the tank, possibly corroded and therefore shorter? You could try wiring the pump in continuously, that would rule out the fuel relays etc. I recall in the past another forum user spending a fair amount of time and money on a problem where when fuel low and turning left hard, the car would die and refuse to start, turned out to be the corroded fuel pick-up and the lines being full of crud.

Good luck!
                  Ian D
                  Ian Drew
                  MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                  MG ZT V8
                  Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

yeah full of crud is about what i'm expecting - oh to have the time to get under and try to sort... Thanks for all the input I'll let you know what happens next...

Comment

finally got a chance to work on getting it running....tried swapping relays over - no difference - checked voltage getting to pump ...3.7 volts... tried switching it direct from battery 12.3 atbattery but only 6 volts showing at pump - shorting? At least it showed willing to prime with 6 volts... also noticed the twisted wire connections to spade connections that are there... must have been a reasonable connection as its been running like that for some time... took 10 minutes to fit new spades and get them to fit properly....
                      so next is change fuel filter and pump when it arrives and try again.
                      underneath will need some cleaning and underseal but not bad otherwise... also the fuel filler breather hose needs some attention...

Comment

Originally posted by neallew View Post
                        finally got a chance to work on getting it running....tried swapping relays over - no difference - checked voltage getting to pump ...3.7 volts... tried switching it direct from battery 12.3 atbattery but only 6 volts showing at pump - shorting? At least it showed willing to prime with 6 volts... also noticed the twisted wire connections to spade connections that are there... must have been a reasonable connection as its been running like that for some time... took 10 minutes to fit new spades and get them to fit properly....
                        so next is change fuel filter and pump when it arrives and try again.
                        underneath will need some cleaning and underseal but not bad otherwise... also the fuel filler breather hose needs some attention...
                        Swopping relays makes no difference at all if one is faulty. Have you tried putting a live and earth to the pump to see if its working? Have you also looked and the inertia switch behind the radio? I sometimes had to put 3 gallons of fuel in an empty tank to get rid of the air in the system
                        Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 8th July 2019, 14:03.
                        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                        2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Yes live and earth tried - initially from car reading 3v (switched from ignition original circuit.) when directly switched from battery it would still only apply 6v.using something like this Automotive Circuit Tester Power Circuit Probe Kit - DC/AC Current Resistance Diodes Vehicle Voltage Signal Diagnostic Activating Components Tools VXDAS VSP200 for 12V to 24V Electrical System

.. 15l of fuel have been added - Inertia switch also checked no sign of red but pushed button down anyway and it didn't move.. anyone have the correct part number for the 1986 fuel sender or pickup unit? id like to see what i have - i think i just have a normal fuel sender as the pickup pipe seems to come straight out of the tank into fuel pump...

If i read it right one relay does startup the other running so wouldnt it at least prime it if riming one was faulty? then start running and then die? Having read the efi owners book it just says to start for 6 seconds wait 30 then try again to "reprime " the system...
                          Once fuel pump arrives will fit that - is it worth putting a plastic fuel filter in line before it just to see if crud in tank? as a temporary measure? to protect new pump?
                          all suggestions and ideas are gratefully received..

Comment

Have you tried changing the relays?
                            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                            2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

We had a none starting 2.0efi. We got nothing when turning ignition key accept the engine turning over.
                              No fuel pump priming, stepper motor rattel.
                              Are problem turned out to be no earth to ecu. We earthed the yellow brown wire (ecu earth ) on first relay under the bonnet. The car then started.
                              Don't no if this helps but worth a try.
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X