Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was there ever an MG Maestro EFi available with digi-dash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was there ever an MG Maestro EFi available with digi-dash?

At the Worthing show today, a viewer was describing to me that he had seen an MG Maestro EFi fitted with the original digi-dash and that the car owner was adamant that it was a factory option when the car was purchased. It was the original version of the digi-dash as fitted into the early angular dashboard rather then the later rounded "Montego" shape dash of the final cars. Can anyone confirm or deny if this was a production option at the time, or has the owner been led up the proverbial when he took ownership
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Pete,
    Definitely was a digital dash MG Maestro EFi. I had one until a couple of months ago and it was a 1985 car with the old style dash. When the MG changed from the 1600 to the 2.0EFi the digital dash became optional rather than standard until some time in the summer of 1985 when it was dropped altogether. I believe the other digidash car,the Vanden Plas also lost it at the same time. The montego style dash was added in early 1986 and I think I am right in saying that no Maestros had this in combination with a digital set-up. I think there are three surviving digidash EFis left, all in silver.

Nick

Comment

Nick is correct with his facts. I had a 1985 Maestro EFi at the time and that had the original dash, analogue instruments but the electronic dash was an option. The Montego style dash was never available with electronic instruments in the Maestro.

Comment

As above, it was an extra cost option for the MG efi and the HLS Maestro. However, when the Montego dash was introduced in Jan 86, it put an end to the possibility of that option. I think it might have been standard on the VP, but not so sure on that. I think the option was about £128.00 if i remeber correctly.

Comment

It was standard on the VP from launch and made the VP a particularly good seller because of the novelty value.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick RS View Post
            Pete,
            I think there are three surviving digidash EFis left, all in silver.

Nick
            Make that 4

I have one in Moonraker Blue that I have owned since 1987. The original owner ordered it with every available option except power steering (thankfully!) so it also has electric windows, steel sunroof and rear seat belts

Before I bought it, I had been looking at another one at Hartwells of Oxford (without digidash) and the salesman was so keen for a sale he offered to swap the instruments from an MG1600 they had in stock

1983 (Y) MG 1600
            1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
            1987 700 City 1.6 Van
            1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
            1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
            1990 Clubman D
            1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Working...
            X