Injector removal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injector removal.

We've traced the problem with my Monty to a dodgy injector.

Excellent I hear you cry... well it would be, bar the fact the injectors in my spare lump are well wedged in the head due, according to Haynes, to carbon deposits.

They recommend an 'injector slidehammer' to get them out - anyone know of anywhere that sells this apparently specific tool.

Also, I, if I can get them done reasonably cheaply, will get the 'new' injectors cleaned before they are inserted in the head, so any recommendations on somewhere to get this done?

Originally posted by SteveC
    They recommend an 'injector slidehammer' to get them out - anyone know of anywhere that sells this apparently specific tool.
    I had to make my own last time I needed one (for a Transit). Find a nut which fits the thread of the top of the injector. Weld a bar in line with it, slide a lump over the bar and weld another nut on the far end.
    Use as expected.

Comment

Halfords do one you may need to go to a main Halfords rather than a smaller shop, but they do have them.

Comment

Originally posted by skipweasel
        I had to make my own last time I needed one (for a Transit). Find a nut which fits the thread of the top of the injector. Weld a bar in line with it, slide a lump over the bar and weld another nut on the far end.
        Use as expected.
        Tis the owning a British 'classic' way, is it not? :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by chrishoggy
          Halfords do one you may need to go to a main Halfords rather than a smaller shop, but they do have them.
          Cheers... I'll check it out tomorrow.

Comment

I had this problem.

What you need is, lots of penatrating oil, and a large spanner, and a hammer. Soak the injectors in penetrating oil, get the spanner on the flats of the injector and get them turning, if nessacerry using the hammer to clout the spanner round. It may take a long time, but once theyre turning, grip a pair of mole grips on to the flats, then twist and pull until they come out.

When you refit them, USE NEW SEAT WASHERS I didn't, and paid the price, and spent a day running round trying to get some, as the pistons would just blow the contents of the cylinder out from around the injector where they wern't sealed properly.

Lucas will re-condition injectors, it costs £25 per injector, or so I was quoted.

If the injectors are really really stuck in, then a slide hammer will probably obliterate the thread in the top, its a risk but you may be lucky.

HTH Rich

Comment

My local diesel place will test them for £2 each and if you have any work done on them they'll knock that off of the bill. I think I was quoted 25 quid ish each to have new nozzles fitted and the pressures recalibrated.
              www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
              www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
              www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V
                My local diesel place will test them for £2 each and if you have any work done on them they'll knock that off of the bill. I think I was quoted 25 quid ish each to have new nozzles fitted and the pressures recalibrated.
                That sounds very, very reasonable to me, given how much the local lot have been hinting at - £50+ per injector to ultrasonically clean.

If you could PM me the contact details etc., I'll get in touch with them.

Many Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich
                  I had this problem.

What you need is, lots of penatrating oil, and a large spanner, and a hammer. Soak the injectors in penetrating oil, get the spanner on the flats of the injector and get them turning, if nessacerry using the hammer to clout the spanner round. It may take a long time, but once theyre turning, grip a pair of mole grips on to the flats, then twist and pull until they come out.

When you refit them, USE NEW SEAT WASHERS I didn't, and paid the price, and spent a day running round trying to get some, as the pistons would just blow the contents of the cylinder out from around the injector where they wern't sealed properly.

Lucas will re-condition injectors, it costs £25 per injector, or so I was quoted.

If the injectors are really really stuck in, then a slide hammer will probably obliterate the thread in the top, its a risk but you may be lucky.

HTH Rich
                  It certainly does - all noted, and I'll try that before resorting to more tool purchases, when I finally recover the car on Saturday.

Cheers

Comment

Just to update this thread on a useful tool to extract hard-to-extract petrol injectors. Mine had been in for 26 years since new, with engine running very poorly on petrol. I decided to change fuel filter and injectors myself after being quoted well over £100 by a garage, just for the labour. Fuel filter was easy. Injectors would not budge from the cylinder block though. I cut out a basic tool especially for the job, starting from a 250mm BonsaiBar by Roughneck which I obtained from TravisPerkins for just over £8. I used an angle grinder to grind out the shape of the bottom of the injector into the flat part. Then positioned the bar at the bottom of each injector in turn and hit the end of the bar with my hand. Eventually all injectors came out using this method, without any damage to the injector. Below is pic of my bespoke bonsaibar, and another pic of my extracted injectors, all filthy and carbonized at the end. One of the end caps of the injectors had also broken.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bonsaibar2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.41 MB ID:	323371

Save
                    Save
                    Attached Files
                    LPG Converted Montego 2.0gsi 1991 - are there any others?

Comment

Nicely done, I've never had to use anything other than a screw driver
                      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                      2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

I love it when someone re-purposes an existing tool. Will take a trip to Travis Perkins and get one.

Well done.

Comment

Also took some photos of my old fuel filter inside, as contrasted with what a new one should look like. It was pretty bad. Car is running much better now, unsurprisingly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fi2.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	667.1 KB
ID:	323459Click image for larger version

Name:	Fi1.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	784.8 KB
ID:	323460Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel_Filter1.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	323458
                          LPG Converted Montego 2.0gsi 1991 - are there any others?

Comment

Working...
                          X