Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature gauge and fan switch

Hello,

So can anyone tell me when the radiator fan should switch on ?? Just fitted a new radiator and fan switch.

I left it idling and the temp gauge went high up close to the orange H zone before the fan kicked in

Also the red light was flashing once it passes middle of the gauge. Is this normal?

Driving around the temp stays mostly in the middle but once I'm stopped it does shoot up.

Could this be the ECU? Or something else? Thermostat or water pump?

sounds about right apart from the. light flashing, what did it do with old rad and switch?

Comment

When it's flashing that's a warning sign for you. Should kick in earlier than that
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

The old rad was is knacked, I think I got the old switch though

Did notice the header tank cap is leaking

I have swapped the ECU as well as the old was just flashing and not driving the temp gauge

Comment

As stated above, the temperature bit sounds about right. The flashing LED can often fail and then flashes all the time, or comes on at strange temperatures. BUT, don't guarantee that the light is faulty!

Ian
          Ian Drew
          MG Maestro Turbo '400'
          MG ZT V8
          Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

So it's around here were it starts to flash.

Does anyone know the temperature it should start flashing and what temp the fan switch should come in?

At some point next week I'm going to hook up some proper thermocouples and measure what's going on

Could the water pump be shot?

Comment

Water pump might be worn, but then fan would be unlikely to come on as switch is in rad, you might get away with a non contact thermometer for checking temperatures, easier to handle than proper thermocouples and good enough to tell you how far hot water is getting....if water temp is about right, then sounds like temperature sensor or ecu...if it is really overheating then water pump, fan switch, blocked waterways, head gasket etc are possible suspects

Comment

Is this the right ECU part number?

Comment

Early 1600. (R series)?

Comment

So it's a d reg 86 1600 L

S series ??

So just looked through my old post and someone did mention it should be ADU8495

I think I ordered one but have fitted one of the others from the spares hahaha

Last edited by JBO; 2nd October 2017, 11:45.

Comment

ahhh..not sure how different it would be...I think Daniel Pyke (E.T.V. on here)mentioned having a few ecu s on the fb page...one was a 216 one, which should be similar to yours, he might know what the likely effect of using a different one would be or might have the right one, I've not fiddled with them too much, other than looking numbers up on parts lists ha ha..... ...

Comment

If header tank is leaking then it won't pressurise as it should and so it'll boil early. Fix that first.
                        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

the red light should come on when the needle reaches the 3/4 line or the yellow line.. most run in the centre.. if it comes on early then the dash is the problem I have the same problem with mine was going to check it as I have spare clocks somewhere.. but with mine off the rd I haven't bothered.. the red light appears to have some sort of link to the gauge just haven't sussed it out yet..
                          home of the "mad maestro"
                          rover sterling kv6 and four tailpipes on lenso rs5's
                          1935 Morris 18/6 being rejuvenated with xj6 parts

Comment

So got a unit with the right part number and now it's all seems to be having.

Drove it to work Friday, 40 miles, with no temp problems

But need to look at the exhaust and the oil pooling on the manifolds

Comment

Working...
                            X