Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montego diesel won't start

Hello everyone.
    I am new on here and have a problem. My montego diesel engine won't start.
    This engine is not in a car, but has been fitted to a kubota excavator and dives a hydraulic pump.I bought it recently and was told that it did run but had starter motor problems.

I sorted the starter and got it turning over ok but when I turned on the fuel it belched black smoke, so I suspected the glow-plugs. Sure enough only one was working, so fitted a new set but no difference, still lots of black smoke. It did sort of fire up but only kept going for a few seconds with the starter still running and assisting. Glow plugs on all the time.

Checked the temperature switch to the start advance solenoid and that seemed to be fitted with the wrong temp switch as it was shorted when cold (ie solenoid live),and open circuit when above about 20C. So looks like that is the unit that should be fitted in the thermostat housing for the idle speed solenoid. So disconnected the wire to the start advance solenoid and still no improvement.

Did a rough check on compression (I do not have a proper diesel compression tester) and all of the cylinders seem much the same and all have compression.
    Checked the cam and pump timing with the timing pins in and the pump lines up on mark 'B' as for a turbo engine, and here is where I run into a problem.
    The engine as fitted does not have a turbo, so should the pump be set to mark 'A'? But what if it originally had a turbo, should I then use mark 'B' ?.And why are there different timing marks for the two options anyway? Does the turbo have a different pump and therefore a different setting, or does it just have the addition of a manifold pressure input, but otherwise the same pump?
    Do turbos and n/a engines have different engine numbers or any other way of identifying them?
    Any help and advise from anyone would be appreciated.

They will usually start without heater plugs..presumably it is on a Sherpa backplate, might be worth checking that the starter motor is turning the right way, I have seen a car one get put on a sherpa before and correct rotation is not something you usually need to check for! BB is turbo engine, BA is non turbo https://perkinsbulgaria.com/uploads/...umberGuide.pdf. If pump is on wrong mark, then it will be half a turn out...so won't fire, could be that sprocket has been refitted on wrong key sometime. good luck!

Comment

Working...
    X