Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do to cure rough start after throttle clean on MEMS ECU system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do to cure rough start after throttle clean on MEMS ECU system?

On my MEMS 91' EFI with 95K miles on the clock, I found the throttle body to be all carbonized inside, and the car wasn't starting or idling well. So I detached the throttle body and cleaned it with the appropriate stuff (after first detaching the potentiometer and stepper motor so as not to damage them), lubed it externally with some WD40 PTFE spray, and reset the the little screw that abuts the idle stepper motor pinion, so it was just touching. Now seems to be idling better, but still rough on first start, for maybe first 30/60 seconds. What else should I be doing? Taking the inlet manifold off and cleaning it - looks quite black inside? Cleaning the fuel rail, and the injectors also (fuel filter and injectors were replaced last year)? The system does not seem to be susceptible to any maual tuning. System has new plugs & coil & cap and magnecor leads.
    LPG Converted Montego 2.0gsi 1991 - are there any others?

Did you also clean out the potentiometer and check the gasket? I cleaned mine out with carb cleaner
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

The potentiometer is a fully sealed unit and cannot be cleaned internally although I cleaned the outside of it. I've no reason to suspect it. There is no normal gasket but a special kind of thick rubber gasket, which is OK. I put a new gasket in anyway. I'm beginning to think it could do with cyclinder head removal and valve examination / clean and also full manifold clean too. I've also got my hands on a microcheck system, so I'll be looking at what that throws up shortly (if it works).
      LPG Converted Montego 2.0gsi 1991 - are there any others?

Comment

Working...
      X