Turbo carb rich running.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo carb rich running.

After the car failing its MOT on emissions I decided to get an old fashioned carb tuner/ krypton tuner come to the house today to properly and accurately set up the carb. Before he started it was running smooth, plenty of power but hard to start from warm, (possibly due to the vent valve being blocked) anyway, he found an air leak and sorted that, checked everything before putting it on his machine. When it came on it was running at 10% co2 but low HC of 250, so he leaned it off to 3% and although the car was running it could not pull away with out cutting out. He then put it back up until it would pull away normally but that took it back up to 8%. This baffled him and he really did know his stuff with carbs. So he checked the choke was working, set the idle and confirmed that the fuel pressure was ok and then suggested a rebuild on the carb and left. Again, it's running very well but obviously very rich and before I go down the route of a new carb I wondered if anyone had any other suggestions?

My guess would be worn jet. Not sure what you know about these carbs, but it's essentially just a brass hole that the needle goes in to. Further out the needle (which is tapered) the more fuel is able to get through the hole. The problems begin when the hole starts to wear (as the needle is spring loaded and rubs all the time). The worn hole which is now oval always allows fuel through. taking the top bit of the carb off (3 screws) removes the needle then the jet is visible, just look to see if the hole is round or worn.
    Good luck,
    Ian
    Ian Drew
    MG Maestro Turbo '400'
    MG ZT V8
    Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

I've had a look at the jet looks worn, not oval but certainly bigger diameter than the needle, the needle doesn't look too bad but I guess this could be the reason for rich running.

Comment

It would be my guess. Burlen do the rebuild kits which come with new jet. I just had a quick look on their website. They list the Montego Turbo, but list it as a 1.3 litre engine, so not sure whats going on there. Someone here will know the correct carb number to look for.
        Ian
        Ian Drew
        MG Maestro Turbo '400'
        MG ZT V8
        Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Working...
        X