"Kurust" on roof bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Kurust" on roof bars

will "kurust" be suitable to "kill" rust on my roof rack bars???

(Pics on roof rack bars thread)
    Last edited by CountrymanKid; 17th July 2005, 12:33.

I don't think Kurust will work on aluminium. I believe it to be formulated to react with steel giving a comparatively impervious phosphate coating which is the barrier coat. It won't do anything with aluminium so is not the stuff to use.

As said before, a good quality aluminium primer and topcoat would be the answer. The actual type of top coat is up for grabs: probably a spray can of black matt or satin finish would look best but might not be as long-lasting as Hammerite smooth (not the hammered enamel finish).

Steve

Comment

Yes I'd agree with that. Pretty much all of the rust curing things simply phosphate the surface to slow the rust's return. Aluminium has very different properties. I'd get a wire brush drill attachment and uise that with care to remove all the old corrosion and get back to bright shiny metal then prime and paint.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

You can get alluminimum rust treatmemts as ive used it on our greenhouse and the said roof bars
        Sure & steadfast.
        BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
        1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
        1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

It would be interesting to see what happened, the main component of Kurust is, as mentioned above, phosphoric acid, the active ingredient in etch primer (ie aluminium primer) is phosphoric acid too.....

Comment

Working...
          X