NLA parts alteritives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NLA parts alteritives

With the ever decreasing parts avalability is it not time to have a list for at least the MOT bits that are nessercey for it to pass and what is an alternitive part for those that a NLA
    Sure & steadfast.
    BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
    1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
    1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Pete Cooper has started on this, right here in fact.. it hasn't quite got to the MOT items yet, so far Pete has put three items on, I've put a couple on and that's it....some will no doubt be to make as they would be unique to the Maestro/Montego..I agree that this is a good idea...but if there are only two people battling with thousands of part numbers and millions of possible alternatives, it may take a while. I guess jacking point is your main area of interest? If I had to guess, I'd say that the actual jacking point will be the same as Metro and umpteen other AR cars, but comes with bracketry that will be to cut off and refabricate, so probably cheaper to make from scratch.
    Last edited by Doctordiesel77; 15th December 2018, 21:37.

Comment

Originally posted by TLC View Post
      With the ever decreasing parts avalability is it not time to have a list for at least the MOT bits that are nessercey for it to pass and what is an alternitive part for those that a NLA
      Get researching then, it's very time consuming with no thanks at the end of if. People only want this when they need something, never offer to do it though when it's not needed.
      best of luck with that. I've had parts fabricated, sourced rare parts , bought bulk stock , given info in the past as did Sean and Mal. No one wanted to pay top money and even now some moan about the prices of parts . I for one won't be doing this again , if it's just jacking points you need, it's best to get fabricated and while you're there get a bulk set done to sell on , but be aware you won't make very much and you'll get moaned at trying to cover your costs and make enough to make it worthwhile. If you do get a bulk supply , make sure you post recorded delivery as a few somehow don't get delivered so you actually lose money helping others.
      Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 15th December 2018, 22:10.
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

No not realy as thats not important for mot its jus a want for my restoration ..But it is so easy to have something go on say the susspenion ect and need something else that is needed when its taken apart so it holds the job up if you can find the part ? or NLA
        Sure & steadfast.
        1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

Get researching then, it's very time consuming with no thanks at the end of if. People only want this when they need something, never offer to do it though when it's not needed.
          best of luck with that. I've had parts fabricated, sourced rare parts , bought bulk stock , given info in the past as did Sean and Mal. No one wanted to pay top money and even now some moan about the prices of parts . I for one won't be doing this again , if it's just jacking points you need, it's best to get fabricated and while you're there get a bulk set done to sell on , but be aware you won't make very much and you'll get moaned at trying to cover your costs and make enough to make it worthwhile. If you do get a bulk supply , make sure you post recorded delivery as a few somehow don't get delivered so you actually lose money helping others.
          It dosent have to be one person doing it If a part or an alteritive parts found it can be added to a list with deatail of where you can get it from
          Last edited by TLC; 13th January 2019, 10:41.
          Sure & steadfast.

Comment

It dosent have to be on person doing it If a part or an alterive partis found it can be added to a list with deatail of where you can get it from
            yup, but so far only two people have added anything to the list..I think the only nla suspension part (at the moment) is anti roll bar link

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post

yup, but so far only two people have added anything to the list..I think the only nla suspension part (at the moment) is anti roll bar link
              I beleave the top shock cup is NLA and bearing .as i have some parts comeing this week that make up the susspension
              Sure & steadfast.

Comment

I beleave the top shock cup is NLA and bearing .as i have some parts comeing this week that make up the susspension
                The top cup is available , the bearing is nla but you can use a vw one

Comment

Rimmers told me the top cup was NLA when i orderd last week .Ill see when the orther bits arrive.However i have found one thats ok off and old shock
                  Sure & steadfast.

Comment

Read this, it's all been done before, as usual you just need to look ,http://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/g...ernative-parts
                    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 16th December 2018, 19:18.

Comment

Damen and Kroes have 4 top suspension cups in stock, you can still get then as ive already said Part Number FAM9456 But from them they wont be cheap, bearings are NLA but if you take yours to a company that sells bearings they could possibly match them. That's what I would do as the main cups normally only need cleaning and re-greasing.
                      Jacking points. Front BEP2059 is the same for both sides Damens have one in stock, rears are different RH BEP942 LH BEP943 all NLA that's the same for estate and saloon, so get fabricating. All a fabricator would need is you to show them your car and for them to measure and take pictures of it/them. Quite easy really and normally no fuss
                      Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 18th December 2018, 13:00.

Comment

Thank you jeff. I have already asked Damens but have not had no reply yet
                        Sure & steadfast.

Comment

hi what are people using for the anti roll bar bush that bolts too the wishbone as my van one has just snapped sorry if this is in wrong section

Comment

Originally posted by cleandave2 View Post
                            hi what are people using for the anti roll bar bush that bolts too the wishbone as my van one has just snapped sorry if this is in wrong section
                            Mk2 Golf ones are the nearest compatible items, BUT there is an issue with the diameter of the bush in the golf ones in that it is larger than the ARB diameter. So you have to find some way of sleeving the bush at the same time as retaining the security of the part. Can't have the bush sliding off the sleeve, or the sleeve moving on the ARB when in operational mode!
                            Membership Secretary
                            Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
                            2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
                            1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

The top cup is available , the bearing is nla but you can use a vw one
                              I have bought two of these bearings recently on ebay at a decent price-seem to be plenty out there

Comment

Working...
                              X