charge cooling diesel intercooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charge cooling diesel intercooler

hi all,newbie pete here,charge coolings popular on saab petrol turbos,increases density of mixture + overall performance,just wondered if its been done on a monty td,or worth doing ? basically i want to make it as fast as poss ha ha,basically how do you do it with meastro parts,i'm a mechanic so just need to know whats required & where it goes please
    Last edited by petegroover; 25th July 2012, 22:57.

Intercooling it is substantially easier and used on all modern diesels.

fit an intercooler and do some tweaking and it can put out reasonable power levels. My old one was a bit of a beast!
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

How do you go about tuning a TD engine?

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Its simple enough, but quite complicated all at the same time.

Essentially you cram more air and more fuel in and get more power out! (The side effect is more smoke!).

From the original 80 odd bhp you can get to about 100 relatively easily. However as the prima has a habit of blowing headgaskets (due to corrosion of the headgasket), you need to make sure this is good before you start tweaking otherwise you may expose its weakness!

Comment

yes the fundamentals of tuning an engine is more air/fuel in - more power out. Wither that diesel or petrol the basic principal is the same i know this. What i would like to know is how do you go about tuning the TD engine exactly? Turn the boost up - increase the fueling at the injectors or something i do not know? where would one begin?

Comment

On my old Meastro td we fitted an intercooler off a R5 GTT, turned up both the mid-range and max fuel settings, tweeked the boost upto 15psi which made it fly. It did use 2 headgaskets though
            The other thing I wanted to do was advance the injection timing which on my disco has seen mpg go from low 20's to just shy of 30 and it will spin a wheel in first and second whilst accelerating like mad.
            All this is going to be done to Andies old estate once the engine is rebuilt in October.
            Current Fleet.

1981 Metro 'S'
            1985 Metro MG Turbo

1986 Maestro MG (GOING TURBO)
            1989 Maestro MG Turbo '#370'

1988 Montego MG Turbo 'SAD'
            1988 Montego MG Estate 'F700'

1995 Land Rover 110

2004 Rover Streetwise Td

Comment

I can't remember if I wrote a guide on here or not. There was one on the prima forum though (landrover conversions that use the prima).

Essentially you up the fuelling by making various adjustments on the pump, (there are lots on the prima pump), and then up the boost to match. My old prima ran 23psi at its peak! (Standard was 13 I think), more normally it ran 18-19psi.

There are some tuning guides for the L series non intercooled pump which is similar, just the prima pump has an extra adjustment ontop of those detailed for the L series pump. There is one I wrote on my diesel site (see signature link).

I'd avoid advancing the timing unless you REALLY know what you are doing as this is frought with danger

Diesel tuning is quite different in some respects to petrol turbo tuning as many things are the opposite way around to petrol tuning.

Comment

That's a cracking Rover Diesel website you've got there Dan - very informative. I had no idea those diesel MG Z cars are so tunable - and that Rover 25 with 312lb/ft of torque is just unbelievable.

Comment

Tuning your turbo diesel - ETV
                  http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4517

How to check/adjust turbo boost pressure on a diesel - ETV
                  http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3638

Some intercooler stuff
                  http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4516

My own question is: Has anybody fitted a Rover 600 rad, intercooler and fans? The fan partly in front of the intercooler could be controlled by a sensor on the intake airflow. Not sure they would fit though.

Comment

Hopefully this should give you some inspiration I still have some of the kit remaining.

Comment

aha,i've heard aslong as yr headgaskets ok,then more air + fuel = power,what does kit consist of pls + cost + where are you pls ?,as i seem to be the only mont on the road in herts.beds.bucks

Comment

hotted up meastro td

Originally posted by mgt16 View Post
                        Hopefully this should give you some inspiration I still have some of the kit remaining.
                        tell me more please,or is there any monty td owners inherts/beds/bucks ? i've had charge cooled petrol turbo intercooled cars + would like to know about mods /cost/results,ta pete

Comment

Sorry for not getting back to you affraid i don't have as mch left as i thought!
                          Basically i used a maestro turbo rad and intercooler set up a rover 620ti rad fan as i had it lying around and a load of silicone pipe which also needed an aftermarket air filter to route the pipes.
                          Out of this i have left the intercooler with mountings
                          the rad although its up for sale
                          the airfilter and some pipes although all the nice blue silicone stuff has been used on my other car i could tell you exactley what is needed.
                          any more advice wanted on this then please ask.

Comment

hi,times flies!! I've rejioned the club recently,long story etc and now I've got a decent td mont i'll be putting the modifications into action at last,many thanks for the advice

Comment

Using a more modern turbo will also help substantially especially the drivability.

Comment

Working...
                              X