No announcement yet.

Adjustable EFI ECU (Motobuild)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What differences exist between a gearbox efi and a turbo? In Spain it is almost impossible to get a turbo engine

Comment

Originally posted by Juanmacandel View Post
      What differences exist between a gearbox efi and a turbo? In Spain it is almost impossible to get a turbo engine
      Gearbox is the same design but different ratios. Turbo is a K7 ratio set. The EFI has closer ratio gears. I'm not sure what the carburettor 2.0 had. If the sticker is still visible on the gearbox then that will tell you.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

The turbo carburetor engine is not exactly very economical, but it is simple and relatively reliable. Usual economy is 20-30mpg depending on how it is driven. Best is low 30's. I've had high 30's from the T16 turbo.

Comment

the ratio of the gearbox of 2.0 carburetor is longer than the injection by rl consumption (I think) you know where I could get a turbo engine with good price?

Comment

The T-series engines are from the Rovers of the mid 90's. They use the same gearbox and engine block as the O-series, as far as mountings go. So fitting the engine mechanically is a straight swap (apart from the power steering and water pipes). The only difficulties are fitting an exhaust and making the wiring connections but these are relatively simple.
            What you get is a reliable 180 to 200 bhp and nearly 40mpg.
            The engine was fitted to the rover 200 Coupe, a few rover 200s, some rover 620s and 820s. Much easier to find as they are newer.

Ian
            Ian Drew
            MG Maestro Turbo '400'
            MG ZT V8
            Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

is this the t series engine? Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171103-180129.png
Views:	271
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	323267

Comment

Originally posted by ian drew View Post
                The T-series engines are from the Rovers of the mid 90's. They use the same gearbox and engine block as the O-series, as far as mountings go. So fitting the engine mechanically is a straight swap (apart from the power steering and water pipes). The only difficulties are fitting an exhaust and making the wiring connections but these are relatively simple.
                What you get is a reliable 180 to 200 bhp and nearly 40mpg.
                The engine was fitted to the rover 200 Coupe, a few rover 200s, some rover 620s and 820s. Much easier to find as they are newer.

Ian
                Not quite that simple as they are physically much wider at the bottom meaning you need to chop a section out of the front cross member to fit it or get creative with an electric waterpump instead. But not an impossible conversion as there are a few out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Juanmacandel View Post
                  is this the t series engine? {"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":323267}
                  It could be but it is difficult to tell. That isn't the turbocharged version though - there are normally aspirated and turbocharged T series engines.

This is a turbo one though - In a rover 600 in this case.

Worth a read of some of the forum threads on this subject though as it isn't something for the novice mechanic.
                  This is the first thread I found - http://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/t...rsion-rover-ti

Comment

you know turbo t16 engines that are not used? In Spain I find it difficult to get one of these

Comment

I think all O series or T series will be used now, extremely lucky to find a new one in any country! I would try find a local mechanic who is knowledgeable, maybe do you have any magazines with articles in of people who have done conversions on cars in your area who you can ask for advice and help. Me personally would try to find an original turbo engine and fit that. A maestro turbo has just finished without selling on eBay for £975. https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/142544422864 it was a efi conversion so will have had everything on you needed to convert your own car. Something like that would be a good start without spending thousands in my view.

Comment

do you know if it would be profitable to buy the 136 hp t16 engine and then put it on turbo? someone who knows the constructive differences of the t16 atmospheric and turbo?

Comment

I wouldn’t think it’s worth the hassle. Just find a turbo engine. A non turbo engine will run a higher compression so when fitting a turbo you will find the engine extremely short lived unless you lower the compression ratio with turbo pistons / rods etc. This is where the high costs come in. Just buy a turbo engine and fit that either in O or T series form.

Comment

Just wait a few months and keep checking eBay, I'm sure one will turn up. Here's a couple of pictures of the conversion I did, to a maestro not a Monty. In a Monty sorting out the fan and radiator should be easier.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	custom_slam_panel_&_saab_intercooler.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	1,010.0 KB
ID:	323364Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	323365Click image for larger version

Name:	PAS_and_window_washer.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	323366
                            Attached Files
                            Ian Drew
                            MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                            MG ZT V8
                            Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

How easy is this Ian? I understand you can have the immob programmed out. What about wiring looms? Speedo cables? Clutch cables? Gear selector is going to be the same I presume? Rev counter? What’s the biggest issue? Cheers.

Comment

Oh and driveshafts? Hubs? Has anyone taken the complete front end from another donor car and transplanted?

Comment

Working...
                                X