Transform HLS into turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transform HLS into turbo

Hi, I want to mount the turbo t3 in my carburetor model, what do I have to take into account ?? What I need? Does the carburetor withstand the pressure? Is the cylinder head the same? please help
    Last edited by Juanmacandel; 9th August 2017, 14:24.

Fit a turbo engine, ecu and fuel system.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Last edited by Juanmacandel; 9th August 2017, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Juanmacandel View Post
        Hi, I want to mount the turbo t3 in my carburetor model, what do I have to take into account ?? What I need? Does the carburetor withstand the pressure? Is the cylinder head the same? please help
        Really you need a turbo engine. The head is slightly different (bigger sodium filled exhaust valves and an extra stud for the different manifold). The carburettor needs to be a turbo specific one (so it holds pressure). Then you need the fuel pressure regulator, swirl pot, different fuel pump (assuming you have a 2.0 carburetor car). You'll need the intercooler, the different (shorter) radiator, the pipework, the carburettor plenum. The engine uses different pistons to give a lower compression ratio. The oil pump has a feed for the turbo oil feed. The block has a feed for the drain to the oil sump from the turbo charger too.

If you have an EFI car at the moment then keep the EFI it is the better all round car than the turbo (and yes I own a turbo!). The EFI will also need more rewiring too than the carburetor car.

Comment

Guau! Thanks you for the información.
          I have an EFI engine but it only delivers 101 horses that I can do to deliver 112 like mg EFI?

Comment

To win those 15 more horses should I replace the catalyst?

Comment

Dont do it .If you want a Turbo get a Turbo and leave the HLS as it is
              Last edited by TLC; 14th August 2017, 18:58.
              Sure & steadfast.
              BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
              1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
              1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

I would guess the lower power output 2.0i is due to two things. The first is the cat which will rob some power. The next will be the fact it is tuned for unleaded 95RON fuel and the EFI was tuned for 97 leaded fuel and so will produce more power too.

Comment

Teroically for the rest are exactly the same?thanks you E_T_V

Comment

Yes the engine is the same, just the fuel it was designed to run on is different, so a different ECU and a different exhaust.

Comment

what are the differences between the rover montego gti of 117 hp and lxi of 102hp?

Comment

?

Comment

The LXi will have a catalytic converter. This strangled the breathing of the engine and so reduced the power output. To counteract this all 2.0i engined cars were fitted with the close ratio version of the PG1 gearbox that had previously only been fitted to the MG and GTi models. This in turn affected the fuel economy. My 1989 2.0GSi estate was considerably more economical than its replacement, a 1995 2.0i Countryman.

Comment

What would I have to do to regain that power? has a short gearbox more acceleration?

Comment

I guess, take the catalytic converter off but I am not sure if it is as simple as that. The close ratio gearbox should give you better acceleration.

Comment

Working...
                              X