Help on T16 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on T16 conversion

What are your thoughts on T16 conversions. Just how much faster, reliable, better drivability are they compared to the O series turbo? I am now at the end of my tether regarding sourcing engine components for my montego, I recently had a garage flood which damaged some of the rarer parts (gaskets) and also rendered my newly refurbed head to require another strip. Rust etc already on the cam and valves, it will probably clean up and go again but it has just put me off a little. I got a load of used engines and bits and to be honest none have given up anything useful. I don’t have a good block or a set of good pistons yet. So my predicament is;
    1, spend loads more time and money sourcing parts to rebuild my engine or;
    2, buy a donor 220 420 ti etc and do the conversion.
    I am intending keeping the car forever so value doesn’t really come into it and I suppose with the T16 engine I have a better source of parts long term?? Any thoughts on which way to go appreciated!

Dan (ETV)or Pete (charlycosworth) or Ricky (Thamestyres) are the ones in the know about T16's. Quite a few cars have had T16's put in them in the past
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Cost wise it might be more expensive now getting a T series turbo 'doner' They seem to be catching the price increase of the retro bug and becoming increasing rare in all guises, haven't seen any cheap ones for a while now!
      MG Maestro Turbo #500
      BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
      Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
      Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
        Cost wise it might be more expensive now getting a T series turbo 'doner' They seem to be catching the price increase of the retro bug and becoming increasing rare in all guises, haven't seen any cheap ones for a while now!
        thanks Andy, my mate has a very rusty 620ti which I am trying to beg from him!! I have driven literally hundreds of standard Turbos but never a T16! Is it worth doing performance wise? Also how easy is it to convert like speedo cable, clutch cable, Ecu wiring (I know you can get immob programmed out). I can cut and weld and aren’t afraid of reworking bits to fit, just would like an idea before I commit! Unless I can find a good O series lump!!!!

Comment

It is almost easier to find a good O series engine than a good T16 turbo one these days. The T16 is more fragile at above standard power, but more power and more driveable. These days I'd half think about going K turbo instead.
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I’d thought that too. I can’t remember but is the k series hydraulic clutch? Decisions decisions!

Comment

Has anyone done a K series conversion?

Comment

not done one, but hydraulic clutch would just be a case of using arm off original gearbox, or using original gearbox if ratios were anywhere near appropriate? same as the l series diesel conversion.... k series did go on pg1 box didn't they? if not in cars they did in freelanders and fixings should be the same... The KV6 would be a tight fit though

Comment

Yes the K series used the PG1 in many models (1.6 and above usually). The bellhousing is different on the K series - so you either hybridise your existing gearbox or you use something from a K series engined car (1.6 and above).

Comment

How easy or difficult would the ecu be to wire up?

Comment

Depends on which version of the T series you get. Some are distributor, some are wasted spark. Some have immobilisers you can defeat yourself, some you have to send away to be done.
                      It is perfectly do-able but it isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. It would depend a lot on how confident you are with electrics.

Comment

Working...
                      X